Chapter 33

I check my phone and its almost midday and I still haven't gotten out of bed. I've been awake for a while now, actually I barely even slept. The memory of kissing Shawn is still fresh in my mind and won't leave me alone.

Last night, after the kiss, I ran to my room as I bawled my eyes out. I got into bed and quietly cried asking myself what had I done? Why had I let that happen? In all honesty, I couldn't think straight. Something inside me wanted it to happen, I know it, but I also know I don't need that in my life again. I got played once, I wasn't going to give anyone the chance of doing it again.

It was a moment thing, yeah, it was him singing to me, the good talk we had, the way he caressed my cheek... it was nothing but a mistake caused by the moment. Yes, that's it. I do not like Shawn and most definitely do not want to have a relationship with him, or anyone.

After lunch the girls and I go back to our rooms. I want to get back in bed but I can't, they will ask me what's wrong with me as they have asked all morning so I decide to get started on some homework.  As I'm laying down on my belly with my books and notebooks scattered all over my bed, my phone rings with a message tone.

SM: I'm racing tonight I hope to see you there.

I feel a knot in my stomach seeing his name pop up on my screen, and the memory of the kiss is back again. I shake my head trying to dismiss the memory when Avianna walks in excited.

"Brian just called. Shawn is running tonight and we are definitely going."

"Yeahhh!" Nyla says from her bed and they both turn to face me.

No no no I don't want to go. I can't face him, not yet. "I don't think I'll go I-"

"Oh come on Kendra please? It'll be fun. No cops this time, I promise." She says pouting. "Well I hope." She adds making me smile.

"Ok fine. But we have to come back early we have school tomorrow."

"Yaaaay." She celebrates making me smile again.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Shawn's POV:

Brian and I arrive at the place of meeting for the race. After talking to the organizer about the money, we stand by his car waiting to start. Lots and lots of people start arriving and come to talk to us, but I don't see any sign of Kendra.

Minutes later I see the three of them arrive. Avianna and Nyla seem to be all smiles as always, Kendra though, looks serious and possible even nervous. I elbow Brian who is engaged in conversation with some guys and point with my head towards the girls. I'm feeling really desperate to go talk to her, and i think Brian can tell because he grabs me by the arm even though I'm not even moving.

"Don't do anything stupid Shawn, Avianna is her friend and she has told me Kendra is a great girl, so if you aren't going to take her serious leave her alone." He says letting go of me as the girls are arriving to us.

"Hi." Avianna and Nyla say. Kendra is in the back and just smiles. She looks up and we make eye contact for a few seconds before she moves her sight somewhere else. I look at Brian with a pleading look and he rolls his eyes before taking the girls to give Kendra and I some privacy. I smile because even if he's not ok with this, he's still helping me. Kendra sees her friends leave and shyly walks up to me.

"I'm glad you decided to come." I say and she looks up and smiles at me.

"Who you're racing against?" She asks looking over my shoulder.

"That guy," I say turning my head back. "The one with the red jacket and glasses." I say and she nods.

"Hey I was hoping I could talk to you after this." I say and she opens her eyes widely. She opens her mouth but before she says a word I speak. "I know you have school tomorrow and it'll be quick I promise."