Chapter 5

I reach out to my phone to turn my alarm off.

I check the time it's 6:30am on November 14, it's my birthday. My 18th birthday.
I hear a knock on my door and sit up as I hear the door open.

"Happy birthday Kenny!!!" My dad and Nora say walking in to my room.

"Thank you." I smile at them

They have a little cupcake with a candle and they sing "Happy Birthday" for me. I blow the candle and we all clap.

"I can't believe my baby is 18 years old. You're growing up so fast. But I need to tell you that now that you are 18, you'll be allowed to do many things you weren't allowed as a minor. I am not going to stop you, you need make your own mistakes to grow on your own, just don't do many, don't do things your old man wouldn't do."

"Oh gosh dad you're not old," I laugh. "And thank you but save the speech for when I go away for college, right now I need to get up or I will be late to school."

"Oh that's right, sorry baby let me just give you a hug."

He hugs me tight and tells me to my ear, "no matter how old you get, you'll always be my baby."

My dad leaves the room and Nora gives me a hug and wishes me a happy birthday before leaving my room as well.

I jump in for a quick shower and change to the fastest outfit I could find, which consists of jeans and a pink long shirt with a black jacket and converse shoes. I put my long wet brown hair into a lower bun.

I run down stairs to find my dad by the door.

"I was waiting for you, I'll drive you to school today. We can pick up McDonald's on the way there." My dad says and winks.

"Say no more," I say jumping the last 2 steps. "Bye Nora." I yell to the kitchen before leaving my house.

I'm already running late but I could never say no to McDonald's.

I arrive to school just a few minutes late. I feel my phone vibrate in my backpack and as I'm walking fast to class I start looking for it.

I hear a familiar voice say my name. Everly? Shouldn't she be in class?

I look up to find Everly, Harrison, and Tom outside the building where I have class.

"Hi, what are you guys doing here?" I ask and stop searching for my phone.

Tom walks towards me with his hands behind his back. As he gets closer to me he reveals a boutique of colorful flowers.

"Happy birthday princess." Tom says giving me the flowers and pulling me into a hug.

My hearttttt.

"Thank you baby." I say and I kiss him.

We let go and Everly and Harrison step up to wish me a happy birthday as well.

"Okay I don't meant to be a party pooper but we have to get to class otherwise we'll get in trouble so bye guys see you at lunch time." Everly says pulling me away.