Chapter 2

My dad is Carter Bennett. CEO of Bennett's International Exportations and the best dad ever.

"Yes darling the truth about your mother." He says looking me right in the eye.

Oh, did I also mention that he's a single father and London's most desired bachelor?

I sit here in disbelieve. Father never wants to talk about my mum.

"You want to talk to me about mum?" I ask in confusion, I still can't believe it. He never wants to speak about her, I've spent my entire life asking what happened with her and every time I would get the same answer, "I don't want to talk about it" "not right now Kendra" but today, he was finally ready to talk.

"I know I never wanted to talk about it, but I think you're old enough to know the truth."

"Okay" it's all i manage to say. Am I really ready to know the truth? All my life I've made assumptions of where my mom could be; jail, away for work, probably kidnapped, even dead. But I am finally about to find out the truth.

"I just want to start by saying I loved your mother so much, more than anything."

I see a shadow of sadness on his eyes.

"Your mother and I met at a very young age and she got pregnant at 15, I had just turn 17. It was a big surprise for us, we didn't know what to do; I mean we were practically kids."

Very active kids if you ask me.

"Your mother was from Leeds, and it was hard for me to be going back and forth to see her all the time. She had a hard, and I must admit, lonely pregnancy."

I can feel a knot on my throat by now. My poor mum.

"I found out you were born 2 days later after you were, I went to Leeds right away and I got to the hospital to find you next to a letter and an empty bed."

What?

Dad gets up from his chair and walks around his desk to sit on top of it, right in front of me.

"Your mother had left." He says with his eyes full of sadness.

She left us. She left me.

"W-why?"

"According to her letter, she couldn't handle the pressure of being a mother but she did love you i don't want you to doubt that." He says looking at the floor. "Pregnancy isn't easy Kendra, and neither is postpartum. It was too much for your mum to handle and.."

"So her easy way was to leave me?" I cut him off.

He looks up to me. "She was young and.."

"So were you," I cut him off again "and you didn't just drop me."

"Yes honey but I-"

"Don't try to justify her dad." I say standing up with tears in my eyes now. "She had the same choice you did, and she opted for leaving, she could have stayed and tried to do this with you. I never wanted a perfect mum, I just wanted a mum."

I now see tears in my dad's blue eyes. I can see why he never wanted to talk to me about this. It hurts him, it hurts him a lot.

I hug him so tight. I want him to feel that even though he lost her, he'll always have me.

He hugs me back right and we stayed like this for a few mins. I then decide to pull away and face him.

"Thank you." I say looking him in the eyes. "Thank you for being honest with me, thank you for giving me the life you've been giving me, and thank you for being the best dad I could've ever asked for."