Chapter 29

Shawn's POV
After my conversation with Kendra, I see her walk away with sadness in her eyes. I understand her feeling. I am also far from home, maybe not as far as she is, but being away from family, even if you're surrounded by friends, will always make you feel an emptiness.

I go back to the main building and finish cleaning. I find myself mopping the hallway that leads to the left door of the main office, when I hear voices walking in through the main door.

"You have to meet her." I hear Miss Cynthia say.

"What's her name again?" Miss Sydney says back.

"Kendra, Kendra Bennett."

Huh, they're talking about Kendra. Even though I shouldn't, I stay silent to keep listening.

"Cute name, but Cynthia you need to understand he is not the only Bennett in England."

"And you need to understand that she looks just like you. Sydney, she is you at her age. Look, her last name is Bennett, she's 18 years old and is from England. It's too much to be a coincidence."

"My daughter is dead!" I hear Miss Sydney say and hear a loud noise, as if she had slammed something. "She's dead Cynthia I saw her with my own eyes. It's been 18 painful years of living with that memory. It's crystal clear to me and it needs to be to you too." She says and I can hear her cry.

"Yes you saw the dead body of a baby, but how do you know it was yours? You didn't even get to see her at birth since you were sedated. What if she isn't? What if they lied to you?"

"Why would they li-"

"Because they didn't like you Sydney you said it yourself many times. His family didn't like you."

"Yeah but I don't think they would've done something like this. I'm sure he wouldn't have let them."

"I don't know, all I'm saying is you need to meet her, I'm not saying she's your daughter, but I am sure little Zoe would've looked like her." I last hear miss Cynthia say before hearing some steps and the door opening and closing again. In the room, there's still someone left and by the sounds of the crying, it's miss Sydney.

I drop the mop by accident and i shut my eyes at the loud noise it makes, letting it be known I'm here.

"Who's there?" I hear Miss Sydney ask from inside. Fucking great.

"Sorry ma'am it's me Shawn. I accidentally dropped the mop." I say walking in to her office.

"It's ok Shawn, how long have you been there?"

"Just arrived." I lie and she smiles. He eyes are red from crying I believe.

"How are things looking around?" She asks and points to the chair in front of her desk to indicate me to take a seat.

"Everything good, I had a list of supplies I needed but with miss Cynthia's authorization I put the order. It should arrive here in a couple of days."

"Thank you Shawn, for taking well care of our school."

"Just doing my job." I say standing up and getting ready to leave as she smiles at me. Looking at her good, Kendra does look like her. Obviously Kendra is younger and she has more visible cheekbones, but they have very similar features.

"Thank you again." She says standing up as well and I turn to leave her office.

As I'm putting all my stuff back in the storage, I can't stop thinking about the conversation I heard. I'm not one to be nosy, but when I heard Kendra's name being mentioned, I wanted to know more. Messed up, I know. I didn't get to find out anything About her other than she is 18. What had me thinking was knowing Miss Sydney had a daughter who passed. How sad is that. Miss Sydney was always a very sweet yet strong woman and I can see why now, what she must have had to endure in her past probably wasn't easy.