Chapter 20

I wake up when the sun shines bright on our window. I look over to Avianna's bed where she is still sleeping. I jump in for a quick shower and once I'm out I change into my Monday uniform. It is a navy blue skirt with a white button up shirt and a sweater of the same color as the skirt with the Academy's logo on the left side. It first me perfectly.

As I'm putting the white long socks on, Avianna wakes up.

"Morning girl" she says rubbing her eyes.

"Good morning" I smile at her.

"Oh shiiiit" she says when she looks at the time jumping out of her bed and I laugh.

Minutes later we are both ready to go. I struggle to put my tie but Avianna helps me. We have class together for first period so we walk together. I am extremely nervous for my first day, if it weren't because we have class together I would be a mess right now. As we enter the classroom she takes me to a desk next to her.

"I sit here and this one is usually empty but now it'll be yours."

I take the seat and wait nervously for class to start. I feel my hand sweaty as Avianna makes conversation with the person to her right. I think back to school at home, I wonder how much different class will be here. The professor starts class bringing me back from my thoughts.

"We have a new student here. Miss Bennett please, introduce yourself." He says.

I feel my checks light up when I hear my name. I turn to face Avianna who is starring at me with a big smile on her face. I turn back to the professor as I slowly stand up.

"Hi, my name is Kendra Bennett, I am 18 years old and I'm from London England." I nervously say and take a seat.

As soon as I finish speaking, murmuring fills up the room. The professor thanks me and continues with class.

Once class is over, Avianna and I walk out together. We talk about class and about how we already have homework. I follow Avianna as we walk towards the cafeteria for a quick snack when someone pulls her back from her backpack.

"What the he.. Nyla!" She says excited.

Another short dark brown skinned girl with black hair and some beautiful tight curls hugs her as she smiles wildly.

"Hiiiii" she says.

"Oh my god I'm so glad you're here. Look this is Kendra," she says turning to me. "This is Nyla, our other roommate."

"Hi nice to meet you." She says opening her arms for me to hug her. There's just something in her very dark brown eyes that make me smile and feel comfortable to hug her.

"We didn't see you this morning in the room?" Avianna says, more like asks.

"No girl, I barely made it on time to first period." She says as we starts walking again. The continue having a conversation about things I don't understand and people I don't know but I pretend to seem interested since they try to engage me in the conversation. Minutes later the ring bells and its time to go to class. This time I have to go alone and it makes me feel more nervous.

After 2 classes back to back it's time for lunch. I receive a text from Avianna letting me know her and Nyla will be waiting for me in the cafeteria. I make my way to the cafeteria still being in disbelief about this place, it's beautiful, truly beautiful. It has paintings on the walls with powerful women known worldwide, but there are some paintings that reflect women that have contributed to the history of Canada. Women who have accomplished much for the women of this nation and are the reason for the way we live now. I don't know much about their history but Avianna was the one that told me.