Chapter 47

"Kendra, breakfast is ready." I hear Nora yell from the kitchen.

"Going." I yell back.

"Cap?" Everly asks.

"Check." I say.

"Gown?"

"Check."

"Ready to graduate and kick ass in NYU?"

"Check." I say and we laugh.

I grab my stuff and we leave my room to meet my dad and Nora for breakfast. Mum had left already to the auditorium to make sure everything is going well. Since we didn't have a janitor and that extra help for the last week of school, my mum and the whole school staff has been getting the place ready for the graduation ceremony. Everly and I went to help earlier, but we came back so I could get ready, and now I am. We sit on the table to eat a delicious lunch food Nora cooked for us before heading out to campus.

"Dad don't don't forget to sit close to the Rose and Owen families. They're Nyla's and Avianna's families."

"Rose and Owen, got it honey."

"Okay, I'll head out. See you guys later." I say blowing kisses at them as they wished me luck. I hurry to the auditorium and I seen my mum in her work mode. She is such a strong woman, I aspire to be like her. She sees me arrive and walks up to me.

"You look beautiful Kendra."

"Thanks mum. Could be because we look alike?" I joke.

"Yeah, it could be that." She says and we laugh. "Go take your seat." She adds and I nod and smile at her before walking to my spot. Nyla and Avianna were here already, after rehearsal yesterday, they went back home, today after the ceremony, we will all pick up out stuff from our dorms. Thinking about this is making me emotional.

"You girls ready?" Nyla asks and we nod excitedly.

"The ceremony starts by Ms. Cynthia giving a welcome speech to students and parents. Followed, by Chelsea's speech as the senior class president and followed my another speech from the valedictorian student Nancy Hill. My mum also gave a beautiful speech that brings me to tears when she mentions her daughter is one of the girls graduating tonight. In just a few more minutes, I will be walking up to her and she will hand me a diploma for the one I work hard for. Names of students start to be called by Ms Cynthia as my mum and other teachers stand in line to greet the students. The line of our line comes up and we walk toward the right side of the stage. Little by little girls start coming up and nervous take over me.

"Avianna Owen." Ms Cynthia calls and Avianna goes upstage as we cheer for her.

"Nyla Rose." We hear and Nyla goes upstage. My hands start getting sweaty as they are close to calling my name.

"Kendra Bennett." Ms Cynthia says and I go upstage. I hear lots of cheering and clapping me. I turn to the crowd and because of the lighting I'm unable to see any faces but I see a tall figure standing up clapping and I can tell that's Shawn. I shake the hand of all the teachers and at the end I rush to hug my mum.

"I'm so proud of you sweetie." She says to my ear and I hug her tighter. Never in my life, I imagined my mum would be with me in one of the most important days of my life. This is something I would cherish forever.

When the ceremony ended, I ran to my dad and Nora who received me with a warm hug, I then hugged Everly and Shawn at last.

"Proud of you my smart girl." He says and gives me a quick kiss. My dad coughs and it's there when I remember I hadn't introduced them.