Chapter 37

I wake up with the sun in my face. I check my phone and see it's 9am on a Sunday. Today I go back to the academy and my dad goes back home. I get up out of the room I'm staying at in dad's hotel suite and find him eating breakfast in the balcony.

"Good morning." I say as I approach him.

"Good morning, here take a seat so you can eat some breakfast." He says serving pancakes on my plate.

"Thank you." I say as i start eating.

"Honey," my dad days before clearing his throat. "There's something I want to talk to you about."

"About what?" I ask and I see my dad putting his thoughts together.

"About your mum." He says and I stop to look at him. He can't be serious.

"I don't want to talk about that."

"Kenny, it's important that you kno-"

"All I need to know, I already do. She left us, so there's really nothing else i want to know." For 18 years I wondered about my mum and dad never wanted to talk about her, and now he is the one bringing the topic up. Why?

"Kendra I understand your upset at your mum, I really do, but she's not a bad person she jus-"

"Why are you defending her? She left you too. You expect me to believe she is not a bad person when she's out there living life not caring about her daughter? I'm sure a good person wouldn't do that."

"People make mistakes honey, we were young and naive. We didn't know any better."

"I already know this and it changes nothing. She left us; end of story. I don't want to talk about her anymore please dad, today is your last day here and I don't want her to ruin it." I say.

"Ok, ok, if you don't want to talk about I won't insist. I guess in part its my fault for not wanting to talk about her before."

"Dad."

"Ok sorry. So what do you want to do before taking you back to the academy?"

"Umm maybe go shopping, my friend's sister is getting married and I have nothing to wear."

"I'm happy to see you made friends and feel happy here."

"I am, everyday I spend here I realize this was the best decision I could've made." I say smiling and it's true. Being away, making new friends and memories has helped me cope with the pain and emptiness I was feeling when I got here.

"Honey, what really happened with Tom?" My dad asks and I freeze. I never actually told him what happened, and I still don't want to tell him. He would go be so upset.

"We broke up."

"I know but why?"

What do I tell him now? "Just things weren't working out for us anymore."

"What do you mean? You loved him very much i don't understand wha-."

"Yeah i did," I cut him off. "But I'm over it, just like you loved mum and still got over her. Im going to get ready so we can go." I say getting up and my dad nods.