『a prince's return

A/N: Omg finally... Sorry that it took so long. This is a rather long chapter cause of how close we are to the end. Chapters will definitely be longer for the next arc since it's only 15 chapters. Thank you for the comments, as always they give me life and motivation!

Enjoy!

[x]

Hand in hand, Iroh leads you towards the entrance of the palace with the rest of the group trailing behind. Endless stairs and scattered councilmen are what welcome the lost prince; scrutinizing stares follow as you guys begin your ascent up the stairs, but when they realize Iroh's return, shock replaces their confusion.

At the top of the stairs, a stern looking woman and General Azusa stand there with a familiar face. You freeze but Iroh continues dragging you until you are face to face with your mother. Haku and Tonraq give the two Fire Nation royals a deep bow, but you just stare at your kin with no emotion.

You can sense her annoyance brewing and a plan being concocted. How will she play this out with royals around? How will she ensnare you into her web once more? How will you react to her devious plans? She's nurtured your fear of her adequately enough for her to maneuver what she wants out of you.

But there is a newfound confidence in your presence. You hold her with little regard and stand firm beside the prince of the Fire Nation.

"I presume you are [Name]." 

Your attention drifts to the Fire Lord herself and you recall your manners. You supply a quick bow before addressing her appropriately. "Yes, Fire Lord."

"From what I heard from many other leaders and my husband, we are quite indebted to you," she states objectively. Her face holds no warmth, but you can spot a flicker of joy in her gaze to see her son.

"I... I wouldn't really say that. I feel like we've all had each other's backs," you sheepishly respond. 

"Nonsense," Haku gasps. "You picked us all up likes strays and kept us safe with all your knowledge. How to hunt, where to go, battle tactics! You always knew."

You send him a thankful smile. "And with that, you guys made sure you had my back."

Fire Lord Izumi watches your interactions with mild interest until she switches over to her son, who stares at her with a tenacious gaze. She tilts her head as she inspects the different version of her son. "I am relieved to say the least that you've returned."

Iroh's expression becomes guarded. "Why? Afraid your heir might leave?"

Finally, her facade of a Fire Lord cracks and the sound of her hand slapping Iroh's cheek echoes throughout the palace entrance. A mixture of concern and anger spread across her face.

"That my son has returned alive!" she exclaims. "I'm a mother too. I have a right to be worried to death that my son had run towards the dangers of this world."

Tears line her eyes, and it's then Iroh realizes the errors in his thought process as pain ensues in his cheek. "H-How am I supposed to know when all you ever care about is my royal training?!"

Fire Lord Izumi grits her teeth as she remembers her stature. Airing out family drama in front of her subjects is no way to conduct herself, and she must act accordingly. General Azusa notices her tendency to overthink and rests both hands on her shoulders, forcing her to relax into his touch.

"Iroh... If there is anything I want you to remember is that I love you," she plainly states. "We can talk more inside, but for now, please come inside."

Iroh's hand tightens around yours at the sound of her plea. He looks down at you, and you send him a reassured smile. It's there in that smile that he finds solace and newfound confidence to accept his mother's invitation into the palace.