『a tale of Iroh

A/N: GUEST APPEARANCE COMING UP!!! There will be some references to my other story 'The Unpredictable Fire Queen'...which I hope you guys have read haha. If not, that's cool. I hope you're enjoying the story so far here. The image that I attached is the setting of this chapter. Don't know if you guys remember that episode of Iroh during his time alone. /cries  but yeah it's an ode to that!

Enjoy! c:

[_____]

"So this is it," Iroh breathes out as he stands upon a cliff that overlooks the city. With the sunset as the backdrop, he watches on as a warm breeze tugs at his hair. The sound of exotic birds chirping drowns out the city noise, leaving him to his own thoughts.

Mindlessly, he allows his body to succumb to the exhaustion of today's venture. In a laidback fashion, he plops himself onto the grass and pulls out a snack he bought from one of the stalls. The smell of freshly baked bread invades his senses, and his stomach growls with approval. As he begins to chew, he thinks back on his day.

Not much was accomplished. He mostly wandered around and analyzed the Earth Kingdom citizens go about their day. To most, it appeared mundane but to him, he was absolutely fascinated by the differences between the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation. He also compared it to the Water Tribe based on the little he learned during his journey. 

Iroh pauses his dinner at the sound of grass rustling behind him. He glances over his shoulder and notices that he has an audience.

"Hello, Iroh," a shaky voice greets him.

Iroh furiously blinks his eyes, hoping the mirage to fade. The moment he realizes how fruitless his attempts are, he jumps to his feet and points at the man before him. "G-Gramps!"

Zuko walks forward but doesn't face the boy. Instead, he looks out at the scenery with a solemn expression. "I was never privy to this spot until my uncle passed away... He only showed my son this place when he was very young."

"Yeah... Uncle Fudo told me about it."

Zuko nods his head. "I regret the mistakes I made when I was young. Looking back, I was taking everything...especially my family connections for granted."

Iroh remains silent, his eyes cemented on the willow tree as he recalls his time at the palace. He always felt a crushing pressure to become important and outstanding. His mother strictly brought him up to one day become her successor, and with the Fire Nation growing exponentially in terms of culture and technology, she needed him heavily adept at a young age.

But not once did he complain. All those lonely days were instantly replaced by the loving family he has. His grandma would always take him out of his lessons to see her firebend--which would instantly be curtailed by Zuko hastily running in to stop her from throwing out her back. He had fun with his grandparents, all while his father tried his best to give Iroh the gentle nurturing he needed in the absence of his mother.

"I know I have it lucky that you all care for me, but I still can't feel that sort of family warmth from my parents and sister."

"But your sister isn't even a year old," Zuko comments. "...Though she could be evil like how my sister was back in the day."

Iroh stops for a brief moment to think back on his memories of his grandaunt. As they flood his mind, he can't help but emit a boisterous laugh. "She sure was sadistic!"

Zuko smiles at the scene. "You're finally laughing."

"Huh?"

"I haven't heard such a genuine laugh in almost a decade."

"I don't think I fake my laughter?" Iroh scratches his cheek.

Zuko steps forward and places his hand on Iroh's shoulder. "There was some sort of weight to your actions. As if you could never be yourself in fear of not being true to your destiny."

"I... I mean... Has there ever been an easygoing Fire Lord?"

"I'm sure there has, but it shouldn't matter as long as you genuinely love the Fire Nation," Zuko responds gently. "You're just dubious about the responsibilities, hence you running away."

Iroh casts his gaze onto the floor as his fears become realized. "Gramps, please... I don't want to go back just yet."

Zuko knows he cannot turn down the request of his beloved grandson, but he wants to understand the boy more. "Why's that?"

"I need to figure something out, and I just can't think for myself when I'm at the palace."

"You have an impressive group with you, so I'm not too worried." Zuko strokes his long beard. "I'm astounded that the nation's genius is with you as well."

Iroh does a double-take. "Y-You know [Name]?!"

"Haha yes. A while back, we secretly fed her some information to find the best strategies for peaceful conclusions. You might have met her when she visited the palace once."

"I have?"

"Yes, when you were both around five years old."

"You had a five-year-old as an external advisor?"

"She had an extensive amount of knowledge in her head... Although, we did dissolve her contract with us when we realized what the mom put her through. The poor girl lived a lonely life due to her mother's greed."

"She never told us..." Iroh whispers to himself.

Zuko notices the sullen mood of his grandson and hastily tries to fix it. "All in due time. The fact that she joined your group shows how lucky you three are. Not many can have such a powerful adversary... Well, all three of you are powerful in your own rights as well."

"She really is amazing," Iroh grins at the thought of you.

Zuko blinks a few times as he watches how Iroh's face crinkles with glee. It reminds him how happy he truly felt at his wife's side instead of at the side of Mai. "It's difficult to find someone that special in your life, but when you do, I suggest you follow your heart."

Iroh flushes at the implications. "W-What?"

"You'll figure that out soon enough." Zuko pats the boy's back as he begins to depart. "I'll let your mother know that you're fine and need some time to think."

Iroh rushes to give Zuko a bear hug. When Zuko returns the embrace, Iroh's lips tremble as he finally gives in to his emotions and allows his tears to fall. "I promise... I promise, gramps... I'll be back."

Zuko smiles once more as he hugs him even tighter. "You've really grown. I can't wait to see the man that returns."