『a legacy

"My name is Haku," he bows his head. "Grandson of Minister Haru."

Your eyes widen in recognition. Having brushed up on world politics, you're well aware of the boy's pedigree. Minister Haru just so happened to be one of the earthbenders that helped Avatar Aang end the Hundred Year War. After Republic City was established, he played an important role there and in Ba Sing Sae as well. Being a pioneer for the Earth Kingdom, he established a legacy that was passed on to his son...

And now apparently grandson.

"I was just passing by when I heard your voices."

Iroh secures his dusty hood, attempting to mask part of his face. "What are you doing in this area by yourself?" he asks in an accusing tone.

You gawk at his reaction, then elbow his rib cage in response. "What he meant to say is thank you, Haku. I don't know what would have happened if you weren't there."

It appears that Iroh's critical demeanor is glossed over by your statement as Haku sends you a warm smile. "It was no problem. I'm happy to help."

"I'm [Name]," you introduce. "My parents are just... merchants so yeah."

You nudge Iroh, who reluctantly supplies his name "Iroh."

"Pleasure to meet you both," he nods. There's a pause of silence as he eyes you both. "Are you on a couple's retreat?"

Your face burns at the implications. "Just travelers on the same path!"

"Oh." Haku strokes his goatee. "Do you suppose there's room for one more?"

"Not unless you tell us what you're doing out here alone," Iroh says before you can accept.

He seems to be perplexed to answer and hesitates for a moment. "I'm just sightseeing."

A scoff rolls off of Iroh's tongue as he crossed his arms, "The grandson of Minister Haru is sightseeing--"

You don't allow him to finish as you grab his arm and pull him away from the conversation. "GROUP MEETING!"

"Wha...Group?--"

You send him a glare and he relents. Once the both of you are out of range from prying ears, you face an annoyed Iroh, "Why are you questioning him?"

"Because it's weird that he's by himself, especially with him being who he is."

"Iroh, do you want me to question who you are? I mean, you're pretty suspicious with all that food." You place your hands on your hips. "Maybe he's in the same position as us and just needs an escape?"

He takes a moment to respond after being blindsided by your sudden generosity. "You're being awfully... careless?"

"Oh, hush. We need an earthbender."

In your attempt to discount his comment, you gain a curious look from him. He then ponders on what you said before reaching a conclusion, and it's accompanied by a smirk. "Ah, I see. You're attracted to Haku's facial hair."

Your eyebrow twitches. He continues his cocky smirk, and all reason is lost on you. Landing a harsh slap on his arm, you yell, "IDIOT!"

Ignoring his yelp of pain, you rush over to Haku, who sends a look of concern to Iroh. "Did you... finally decide on something?"

"Yes, you can join us!" you smile brightly.

Haku sighs with relief, "Thank you. I promise I'll pull my own weight and help out if need be... So where to?"

You stare ahead at the forested path with a renewed determination, "The Northern Water Tribe."