『very still is the world

A/N: VERY QUICK IMPORTANT MESSAGE!! I had to change the times around from the last chapter. I miscalculated the times and ages... So yeah, it's a 4 year time skip. The reader and Iroh are both 21 years old. 

[x]

"Although it's very nice you're here, have you thought of what your future plans might be?" Tonraq asks as he munches on his dinner. You sit across from him with Senna on your side.

"A little," you mumble against your utensil. "It's kind of hard to plan when everyone is bombarding me with questions and asking for my advice on city policies and structure... especially with Aang's failing health."

"You are the advisor to the Avatar, it's only natural that they ask you instead of Avatar Aang," Senna mentions. "Take as long as you need to think."

Tonraq chows down a few more side dishes before crafting his reasoning. "I am not saying it because I don't want you here. It is nice to see a good friend when life is so busy."

"But?" you pout.

He appears to be hesitant to continue, "Well... from what I've heard, Avatar Aang is on his last few days. Pretty soon, the world will become unstable as they find the new Avatar. In the meantime, you will be the most sought after person in the entire world."

"I've already constructed the governing bodies and did all the city planning for Republic City. They don't need me anymore, and it's time they stand on their own two feet," you grumble. "The world has order, it doesn't need me."

"But what about outside Republic City?" he adds.

"Well, in the meantime, we can just have the White Lotus be Aang's fill in," you shrug. "I be an advisor to them." 

"And where will you do all this consulting?" Tonraq inquires.

This is the question that stumps you after having contemplated on ways to salvage both your work life and love life. It has been two months since you last saw Iroh, and you have yet to respond to any of his correspondence.

It took him a week to find you, but he had already been deployed for the next wave of missions. With General Bumi out on leave to see his father, Iroh has been covering his senior's duties plus his own. With what little time he has, he sent you more letters than ever, begging for your return to the palace. The last letter even suggested his submission to the idea of marriage.

But you didn't want the ring anymore, not when he acts like he is being forced into it. Then you'd be just like Melina and the thought makes you shudder.

"If I'm to have a bigger role in the White Lotus, I guess I should move to Republic City," you think aloud. 

"I'm sure Iroh would love to have you closer," Senna gasps. "Then you guys can work on things."

The idea sounds feasible, but with work, you are sure neither of you would have the time to see each other despite how close you might be.

[___]

The funeral procession for Aang holds a heavy air to it. The dread of losing a beloved Avatar looms over the world, but the pain of losing a father and husband devastates the family. 

You frown as you watch Katara heave out another sob along with Kya. The palette around you is drenched in somber expressions and black attire. You wonder what's to come from the absence of the Avatar, recalling the group who desired the destruction of peacemakers.

However, their presence soon leaves your mind as your eyes land on Iroh, who joins the procession at the last minute. He shimmies near the back, muttering his apologies. One look at him and you return your eyes forward as your mind ponders on the future.

[x]

"I knew I'd find you here," Iroh calls out as his feet crunch through the snowy terrain. He stands before you, melancholy present in his features. 

You don't eye him as you remain perched on the hill that overlooks the tribe. Long ago, you almost met your death when fighting the Red Lotus in this spot. Now, you find comfort in seeing the world in its peaceful state.

When he realizes that you won't answer, he sighs harshly and causes a puff of cold air to float out. "How are you?"

"As anyone can feel when losing the Avatar."

"He was also your friend." Iroh sets himself beside you and rubs your back gently. 

Your lips tremble under the weight of losing someone precious to you. "I know," comes your soft whisper, "it's horrible."

"It's a horrible loss for us all," Iroh agrees. Time passes as you let out your tears but soon the cold freezes your bleeding heart. In this moment of respite, your mind wanders to what it should do and it comes to its conclusion quickly.

"Iroh, I respect your wish to wait," you say as you turn to him. Relief smooths out his tense expression and he begins to move closer to you. "I don't want us to marry if you still feel like such a union will impeach on your desires to help this world."

Your blunt explanation causes a stutter in his heart. "I don't like you putting it that way, but I am happy you understand."

"I just wanted to be officially part of a family since your family has always acted like they were mine too." The grand scheme of things punches Iroh right in the gut, and he realizes that he's destroyed your genuine happiness with his selfishness. Unfortunately, the realization comes too late and he can't backtrack his sentiment due to your next statement. "But seeing as how our paths can't connect right now, I think we should take a break from this relationship."

He's messed up. A colossal overview on his end and he cannot mend it. "N-No, I don't want that."

"I guess you're just starting to learn now, Iroh, but not everything about this relationship is up to you." You stand up, resolve pulsating in your veins. "I have dreams and ambitions, just like you. For you only to see yours is selfish. And while I'm still young, I must also contribute to this world."

Iroh scurries onto his feet. "Babe, I did wrong. I can work on it, I will work on how selfish I was."

"I'm sure you can," you smile sadly at him. "But I also need time to see what I want. I'm 21 as well, Iroh. I shouldn't have to be picking up your slack when I'm so young."

Each word holds unavoidable truths that pierces his heart, leaving him heartbroken once more.