『agonizing realizations

Author's Note: Happy New Year! :D I'm back and ready to begin posting the newest chapters. If I'm diligent enough, I'm hoping to post new content every week. You guys have been so good to me during this fic, and I really hope to repay that sort of enthusiasm with that sort of dedication. I'm actually quite excited about what I have in store for you guys! Anyways yeah, I'm back and please enjoy the latest chapter!

[____]

You hurry behind the two girls, Melina and Fuu, who have hired you to become their advisor. They stride down the hallway of the Earth Kingdom's palace, exuding an air of confidence that you lack. You notice the many guardsmen scattered around the palace; they all stare at you with threatening glares and you recall reading about these sort of guards. The Dai Li's infamy found itself the subject of many contemporary books about the Earth Kingdom, and as always, you were never a stranger to these books. 

Knowing of their past, you keep your guard up and try to blend into the group which proves to be difficult after a few seconds. Thankfully, Melina spots your concern and pauses her travel. "This girl is my guest. Please treat her as such." The manner in which she speaks leaves no room for objection, and they scurry off into the shadows.

Unfazed by her friend's display of power, Fuu turns to you with a wide smile. "Let's go to the dining hall and make camp there." 

You nod your head and continue to follow, your mind racing a mile a minute as you take in the interior of the palace--a place you had longed to see for a while. The light fixtures, the exotic use of emerald, and the rich lifestyle of royalty. You take mental pictures of your surroundings and store it for future use. 

Once seated in the dining hall, the palace attendants rush over with plates of food. You wonder if they always have steaming dishes prepared, but your attention gets pulled elsewhere as Melina begins to speak. "Do you have any preferences?"

You instantly straighten your posture. "A-Ah, I'm fine with anything." 

She nods her head and waves the attendants away. A snap of the finger and in comes a Fire Nation aide. They hand her a map of Ba Sing Se, and you inspect it carefully. "I need you to do the negotiations and handle the procurement of my fiance."

"Should I barter--"

"Don't worry about the money. We can handle that!" Fuu laughs, "She isn't the warden's daughter for nothing."

You blink a few times as you try to recall any information about her. Unfortunately, you were too busy with your own studies to learn about the Fire Nation's aristocracy. But nonetheless, you go along with it for the coin. "Wow, that's amazing."

Heat rises to the top of Melina's cheeks. "It's nothing really. My great uncle was the warden and then it fell onto my dad. But I don't care about all that. I just need my idiot fiance to return."

"I'll do my best to help you," you say after hearing her story.

Melina exhales loudly while shaking her head. The sound of her golden hair clasp ringing at the swing of her head puts you in your place--you are but a mere commoner in this situation. This situation can only be settled between the higher parts of society, and you are only here to help facilitate that.

You gulp and try to remember the task at hand, swallowing the bout of intimidation. "So I need something that can help the shirshu sniff him out."

"I️ have this locket with his hair and picture," Melina states. She reaches the back of her neck to undo the pendant's clasp. You offer her your open palm, and she places the heart-shaped pendant onto it. "He gave this necklace to me, and I customized the rest."

Fuu smiles at the pendant, fond memories coming forth. "She used to smile a lot more with him around."

"He just has a contagious grin. It feels like he's forcing me to smile too," Melina huffs.

You gasp at her explanation. "I️ have a friend like that too! It's very tough not to smile when they do!"

Melina nods her head as a smile begins to form. "You know... You also remind me of him. It's hard not to get swept up in your aura."

You still for a moment as her compliment sinks in. "Ah... Umm.. Thank you." Your cheeks redden as you glance down at the jewelry. "Can I️ see inside?"

The girl reaches for the pendant, her cherry blossom scent breezing over to you, and she unlocks the pendant. The top part of the heart springs open, and you see a clipped segment of black hair strands blocking the picture. With one careful index finger, you push the black hair strands to the side, your smile of curiosity beaming brightly. 

But then you notice the picture, a familiar face coming into view that causes your smile to vanish. "Mel?" you whisper out.

"Yes, that's exactly what he calls me too," the girl hums.

You finally connect every dot imaginable, your eyes growing wider at each revelation. And it is then you finally conclude that you really are going to get Iroh killed.