『venture into the wind

'I am Ren. Firstborn of [Name] and Iroh the second. Brother to Rin. Father to Hammy the fifth.

I hold many titles, many connections, but I always feel like the black sheep in my family. The differences between my family and I are so astronomical that I no longer feel as if the palace is my home. 

Due to this, I must depart to a place where no one will find me. It pains me, but I must do this so that I may live a happier life.'

You read the parchment a few more times as you eat a slice of cake. It was your son's birthday yesterday, and during his small party, he was acting a tad bit gloomier than usual. You expected teenage angst here and there from a fourteen year old though sometimes your son revels in his... suffering?

"Rin, can you call your dad over?" you ask your daughter, who eats beside you with her own cake portion. She smiles widely and nods her head before running to the other side of the palace.

You should be worried, but for some reason, you found the note a bit amusing. However, such a reaction will not be found in your husband when he hears the news. You're sure he is going to call upon an expedition and behave in a manner fitting of a general.

In a matter of minutes, Rin returns with her father in tow. She motions for him to sit in her seat as she plops on your other side. Curiosity graces her features as her eyes try to decipher the note from afar. Misfortunate plagues her every attempt as you hand a confused Iroh the paper.

"Read this."

He does as told, scanning it with not a clue of what it could be. It doesn't take long for him to realize the nature of this letter, and he becomes stricken with horror. "Ren ran away?!" You nod your head. "Why are you not bothered by it?!"

Your shrug, "Isn't it cute how he is doing the same thing as us?"

"[Name]!" 

"Calm down, calm down. I already know where he went," you sigh while patting his shoulder. "My spirit friends have told me that he is traveling towards the portal in Republic city." Spirit bending has come with its generous advantages, one being the link to other spirits that inhabit your world. You can also connect to spirits in the Spirit world but that takes much more effort. 

Iroh scratches his head as relief calms his panic. "I'm all for a good adventure, but why did he have to leave without saying anything?"

You notice the dejection surrounding him and press your shoulder against his, resting your neck on the tops of it. "It isn't because he hates you. Unlike our adventures where we journeyed to discover the world, his approach stems from self-loathing."

"He hasn't accepted himself yet," Iroh states, deriving his conclusion from your explanation.

Your heart trembles at the thought of your son's turmoil. "No, he hasn't."

"Should we follow?" 

You take a peek at your daughter, who seems excited about the supposed journey. "Do you want to come with us, Rin?"

She nods her head eagerly which finally breaks the tension on Iroh's face. He reaches over to scoop her up and bring her to his lap. She may very well be ten years old, but Iroh's strength has not diminished in the slightest even with age.

As he hugs her, his cheery persona returns. "Then it's an adventure!"

[x]

Although Ren visits Republic City several times a year, he witnesses the sights of it alone. It feels new and mixes a giddiness to his nerves. He doesn't have to answer to his father's overprotective demands, he doesn't have to share everything with his little sister, and he doesn't have to... Well, he has no qualms with his mom.