『a deadlier ally

A/N: This is getting too serious for me *shrugs*

[___]

"Get off the bridge," you yell out. Haku obeys instantly, wasting no time in pulling you towards the rocky sanctuary. Tonraq hurries behind, and the brown eel-like creature smashes the ice bridge as it roars out.

Thankfully, all three of you make it in time onto the platform with Tonraq jumping onto it at the last second. "Any ideas, [Name]?" Tonraq asks breathlessly.

Your gaze quickly travels over to where Iroh is splashing around, then over to the serpent who is eyeing him for lunch. The other beast appears more interested in you as its lifeless eyes hold still in your direction. 

"Tonraq, you're with Iroh in handling that serpent. Haku and I will deal with this one here," you instruct.

Tonraq doesn't doubt your reasoning and rushes over to Iroh, skating through the water without a moment to waste. You whip out your bow as the eel creature opens its mouth; water forms at the back of its throat and you can feel the power emerging from it.

"Haku..." 

"On it," he responds as he gets into position. The creature beams out water and Haku shields you two with his earthbending, creating half a dome to protect any incoming attacks. "It won't hold for long."

You return your attention to the other two on the ocean. It appears Tonraq got there just in time and they remain on a floating ice platform fighting the creature. You breathe out a sigh of relief and prepare for your own fight. 

"That beam is coming from its throat, so we need to injure it from there."

"My aim isn't the greatest, but I'll try," Haku responds as he begins to crumble a part of the dome for some stone ammo. 

"I'll try too, but it's moving around too much." You aim your bow at the creature, who is beginning to form another water beam. "That... is an unagi. What's it doing so far out here and with a serpent?"

"If I knew, I'd be a genius," Haku retorts. 

"I'm a genius and I still don't know... Wait... If we figure that out, maybe we can do something about this situation," you gasp.

"Well, do so quickly," Haku grits his teeth as another beam crashes onto the dome. 

"Maybe it wants our food? They're usually carnivorous," you mutter as you rummage through your bag. You take out a sealed pack of meat and wave it over the dome, grabbing the creature's attention. Once it's mesmerized by the food, you chuck it over and into the ocean.

The unagi dives into the water to grab hold of the meat, and you give Haku a reassured after a few moments of silence. "See, easy!"

Haku nods his head and begins to stand, but suddenly the unagi emerges from the water and spits out the meat onto the back of Haku's head. "ARGH!" He falls forward and faceplants into the ground.

"What the..." You gaze up at the roaring unagi. "HOW DARE YOU SPIT OUT OUR MEAT! THAT'S RUDE!" 

"What about hitting me?" Haku weakly asks from the ground.

"That too... WHAT DO YOU WANT IF YOU DON'T WANT MEAT?!" You rummage your bag again and the only thing left are fruits and vegetables. "YOU WANT THESE THEN?" You wave the red and green food items around, and this time the unagi seems genuinely interested. 

"It looks like it wants those," Haku comments. 

You throw one high up into the sky where the unagi gleefully catches it. It chews with vigor, and it appears as if it's smiling at the taste. "It's a vegetarian..." you groan. "This world shouldn't surprise me anymore." 

The unagi lowers itself until it's on eye-level with you. There's an expectant gaze on it, and you tentatively feed it another piece of fruit. It takes it carefully from your fingers and chews on it. Once it finishes, it opens its mouth for more.

"No way. I can't be feeding you until I help my friends with your stupid friend!" you chastise it. 

You see anger welling up inside it, but Hammy jumps out of your pocket and begins squeaking at it. Somehow the unagi understands the hamster's instructions as it looks at the serpent then at your food.

"I'm so incredibly confused by this," Haku shakes his head as he nears you. His hands are still balled into fists, ready if any attack came your way. 

"Me too, but I think... I think we are gaining an ally in this."

Once Hammy stops his conversation, you realize that you have indeed acquired a deadly ally. The unagi glares at the serpent and positions itself to attack.