『a canyon to conquer [3]

With every harsh step, your body internally screams in pain, and it makes you wonder if any of this was truly a good idea. You also begin to take note of all the things you could have done differently.

For example, you should have made sure you were set for a few days before you ventured into the canyon. You should have gone with what Iroh might have wanted. He should not have acted like a gentleman and allowed you to pick the first destination. And above all, he should not have angered a dangerous creature, which now chases you in hopes for a snack.

"We should have surrendered our food!" you yell as you follow quickly behind Iroh.

"There's no way I'm giving the last of my food away, especially to that thing!" Iroh counters, acting as if his stupidity is justified when it clearly isn't.

"You're so tired... You can't even firebend anymore!" you exclaim, exasperated that he didn't follow directions. "You're so... STUBBORN!"

A terrifying scream bellows out the creature's mouth, lighting a fire within you. You step harder against the floor and forgo any graceful movements as you speed down the rocky path; however, when the sight of a dead end gets nearer, your heart sinks.

"I-- I'll try to clear that," Iroh shouts, using the last of his energy to procure a weak ball of fire. He shoots it out, but it barely grazes the rocks that stand in your path. He tries again but to no avail.

"We should have brought an earthbender," you mutter while halting behind him. The second your body stills you feel the creature's pincers grab your sides and pull you up. "AHHH! I-IROH!"

"[NAME]!" Iroh reaches out for you but you're too high up in the air. He kicks a wave of fire at the beast, but once again, the flames are too weak to secure any damage. "DAMN!"

Out of nowhere, a large boulder falls on top of the creature, causing it to release you from its clutches and into Iroh's arms. It all happens far too quickly for you to process, but the fear of death wracks your body and you begin to cry from relief.

"W-What? Hey, don't cry? You're okay now," Iroh tries to soothe you, albeit in a gawky manner. "Umm... Look, we have an earthbender with us."

Confusion strikes you, and you turn your head to see a man dressed in a garb colored in different shades of green. He appears to be around your age, maybe a year older, with olive skin and awkward facial hair.

When he spots your attention, he hurries over to your side. "Are you okay?"

You don't have the energy to utter a word; instead, you nod your head.

He sighs with relief, "Good--"  The creature lets out a moan in pain, and he gives it a small chuckle. "Why don't we get out of here before it escapes? Then we can exchange introductions."

Plagued with the urgency to leave this godforsaken canyon, Iroh doesn't question the man and glances down at you, concern etched in his golden optics. "Yeah, deal."