『a-plus planning

This is the perfect plan.

You take a few more breaths to settle the rattling of your heart. Anticipation tugs at your muscles, the idea you once found brilliant now terrorizing your system. Yeah, this definitely won't bode well for Melina and Fuu.

When said girls come into view cascading down the palace steps, you gulp and continue to remain eerily still. You can't procure a smile, let alone a greeting, and you opt to just wave your hand. Melina smiles pleasantly at you, her mood far brighter than when you first met her. Clearly, she's excited about the return of her fiance--too bad for her, your plan won't allow the capture of her stupid (extremely stupid) Iroh.

After your talk with Avatar Aang, you decided not to hand over Iroh to Melina. Even though you were becoming fast friends with her, you wanted to indulge your selfish desires in having him continue his journey with your group. Above all, you knew of Iroh's desire to flee his past and you were going to help him at all costs.

"So, did you find him?" Melina asks. 

You can't escape even if you wanted to. They had already sent out a palace aide to escort you straight to the palace. What you needed to do is shatter their presumptions of you. If you failed, they'd no longer take heed of your advice.

"Yes, the shirshu handler is bringing that person now."

You can tell by the way her body straightens that Melina is expectant of Iroh to return. Her cheeks burn at the thought of her lover, and your heart speeds up at the thought of crushing it. You feel bad for raising her hopes, but you have to protect Iroh at all costs.

You spend an hour waiting for the shirshu handler, who is supposedly tracking down Iroh. The three of you wait in the dining hall with another obnoxious serving of food. You can hardly take a bite due to your nerves, while the other two dine and reminisce about the past.

"I remember when you received that pendant. I never thought Iroh would finally grow out of his childish tendencies and become a man."

You recall Tonraq mentioning how Iroh had never gifted a present to a girl before. Suspicions arise, and you feel compelled to ask. "How did he give that to you?"

Fuu looks at Melina, waiting for the girl to respond. When she does, her expression brightens. "We had a small fight about the engagement. He wanted to take it slow, while I wanted to make sure we were together for life. He apologized by sending this to me via courier. I'm sure he was too embarrassed to do it in person."

She tousles her hair at the thought of her fond memory, while Fuu adds her part. "It was funny how Iroh pretended not to know anything about the pendant. He really was embarrassed."

Your eyes widen. Was it really Iroh who sent that pendant to Mel? From the way he gifted you the clip, you were sure his story was real... Something doesn't add up, and your eyebrows knit together in confusion. Before you have a chance to dig a little deeper, a member of the Dai Li enters the room.

"They've brought him," he states before returning to the shadows.

The two girls spring up from their chairs and scurry off to the throne room.

When they arrive, what they see is a rotund man, probably middle-aged judging by his grey strands of hair. He appears frightened for his life as his eyes dart around his surroundings.

You stand there frozen once more as all eyes land on you. They await your excuse. There's a slim chance you'll be telling them the truth--that you grabbed some hair strands from the tea shop waiter yesterday and switched Iroh's locks out for his. 

A peculiar expression--one the author cannot accurately describe-- graces your features. It stuns your audience, and you use your highest pitched tone to respond. "Whaaat a niiiiice booooyfriend you gooot theeeeere~"

To your surprise, your tone does not dupe your employers into thinking it was an accident. The once calm Mel has now enveloped herself in a monstrous aura, her pupils flaming with fury.

"YOU... YOU TRICKED ME!"

You drop your facade and wave your hands around. "I swear it was an accident!"

"YOU KNOW WHERE HE IS!"

"N-No!" you exclaim.

"GUARDS!" she calls out and they arrive without a second to spare. "ARREST HER!"

Okay, so maybe your plan wasn't perfect.