『a deadly pass

A/N: You guys are the best. Thanks for the warm wishes back and for the beautiful comments! <3 Now it's time to return to the adventures this story revolves around! Enjoy!

[___]

"Since you guys can't use your passports, I suggest you use Serpent's Pass to pass over and then travel down to river until you hit Omashu." Fudo drags his index finger across the map in the direction of where you guys will be heading. "Omashu handles all the departures headed to the Southern Water Tribe. The ferries from Omashu do make pit stops at Kiyoshi Island, so you'll be able to see the island free of charge."

"Perfect, I'll remember the coordinates!" you chirp. 

"The coordinates?" Fudo chuckles awkwardly.

"Yeah, the x and y coordinates of the locations," you respond as if it's a simple task. "Will there be any difficulties getting into Omashu?" 

Fudo halts his moment of awe and returns to the map. "Yes, they too require passports at their border, but I heard that the Cave of Two Lover's is back up again and can get you past their inspections from there. After that, it's smooth sailing."

"Thanks, Uncle. You've been a big help," Iroh pats his uncle's shoulder. 

Fudo grabs hold of Iroh's hand, directing the boy's attention to him. "Iroh... You're the closest thing I have to a son. Please take care of yourself and your happiness."

The comment causes Iroh's heart to stir and it somehow brings relief into his system. Even though his heart is hurting, he still has the love of his family to support him. 

And that... that is a gift he has always taken for granted.

[____]

"Are you sure your uncle didn't want us dead?" Haku shrieks as he holds onto the rocky path. Structured in the form of a swimming serpent, the path climbs up and down with little to guard you against the dark ocean. Although the world around it has rebuilt itself into a safer environment, Serpent's Pass remains entirely the same due to little interaction with the human world.

"He said we should be fine with Tonraq present," you answer calmly. "Tonraq, the path up ahead is gone."

"On it," he responds as he jumps to the front of the group and begins to form an ice bridge. Once it's built to perfection, he motions for Iroh to test it out. "After you."

Iroh nods his head and ventures on foot forward onto the bridge, and when he deems it safe, he unconsciously holds out his hand for you to hold. You're a little nervous and take your time debating whether it was a good idea to hold his hand. Your moment of hesitation alerts the boy and he sends you a quizzical look.

"[Name]?"

"Ah! Um... Yeah, hold on," you jumble out.

Finally, it clicks and Iroh retracts his hand. "Sorry," he mutters out. "Make sure she gets to the other side safe." With that, he begins his travel on the bridge, leaving the other two with you.

Tonraq awkwardly stares at you, scratching the back of his in confusion. "Umm..."

 "I'll take her over," Haku announces as he grabs your hand. 

"I can walk myself," you hum--a feeble attempt to smooth over the tense atmosphere.

"Don't worry, we know," Tonraq smiles at you, "but it's mostly to ease that boy's mind."

"Ah," you nod your head. "Well, I prefer being carried, Haku."

Haku's eyes widen like saucers. "Uhhh I can try--"

"I was joking, don't be weird!" you giggle. 

The ringing of your laugh diverts Iroh's attention away from the path ahead and onto you. He watches on as you smile and allow Haku to lead you down the ice bridge. Tonraq follows closely as he defends the rear. 

That could have been him if he was honest with you, but now he's letting some other guy protect you. The thought drives a knife deeper into his heart, and the regret his uncle spoke about before is now becoming a reality to him. 

Before he has a chance to react, the roar of a creature freezes him in place. He glances over his shoulder to see a green serpent heading their way, and panic floods into his system. "GET OFF THE BRIDGE--"

The serpent doesn't give him the chance to utter the last of his sentence as it hits him clean off the path with its tail. He flies off and crashes into the water, and the three of you watch on in horror. You take a step forward as you wrack your brain for a solution, but the sound of water shifting violently to your left diverts your attention away from Iroh.

Another creature emerges, brown in color and a lot less peppy than the serpent. You gulp under its gaze, but you're sure of one thing.

You have to think fast to save everyone.