『another bump in the road

The moment you three arrive at the port, you're greeted by an exuberant ferryman. He's dressed more appropriately than your last boat driver--he also has a bigger boat and a bigger personality. "Haha! You guys are here to depart? Don't look any further then!"

"Okay?" you respond cautiously.

"I transport people to and from the Northern Water Tribe. I even dropped off those fire nation officials over there," he points at a group of fire nation soldiers and diplomats, and both you and Iroh jump at the sight. 

"I-Is that so?" you mechanically laugh. 

"That's some good business you have going. You must be rich!" Iroh fakes his laughter too, but it's clear the both of you are rigid with fear. 

Your forced laughter comes out unceremoniously, dampening the mood of the ferryman for a brief moment. "You're a weird bunch... But I'll be happy to take you back free of charge!"

Haku is the only clear-minded member and gives the man a small bow. "That is kind of you, sir."

"Yeah, the tribe issued an order that visitors must evacuate. It was apparently the Avatar's idea to do this," the man explains. "He deemed the area too dangerous for people who aren't citizens."

"I see... Well, maybe we can enjoy the area another time." Haku glances back at the two of you, who are still anxiously laughing together with fear in your eyes. He arches an eyebrow at the sight. "... Let's head out then."

_______

The moment you reach dry land, the three of you set out on foot to the Northern Air Temple. After spending most of the day walking, you decide to take shelter in a nearby clearing for lunch. Logs and twigs are thrown haphazardly together, and Iroh ignites a fire quite easily.

No one speaks; no one has been speaking much ever since your trip into the sacred forest. The heavy secret that you all witnessed has worn your minds down, and it's hard to talk about it. Your group only wanted to experience the world, not enroll in a campaign to save the world or to take down a secret organization.

It's a silent and mutual understanding--if no one spoke about it, then it never happened.

While eating your lunch, you tear off bits of meat and place it inside your bag, which begins to move in a suspicious manner. It then stops until you bring back more food to it. The two males watch the interaction with confusion written on their faces.

You don't notice and continue feeding your bag. It isn't until they heard a squeak that Iroh decides to take the plunge and ask. "What's in your bag?"

"Hammy." You act as if your answer is sufficient enough to sate their curiosity. Neither of them knows what to say next, and they stare at you with concern. 

The moment everyone finishes up their food, you pack up your belongings and continue heading towards the air temple. You lead the way, having brushed up on its coordinates from the world map you attained, and you guys travel until it's sunset. 

"I guess we should station ourselves here." Haku is ready to sit down and finish for the day, but you send him a frown that says otherwise.

"We are honestly like a mile away from the temple. Why don't we end our day there?"

"I don't see any temple in the distance..." Iroh scratches his head as he looks around. "It's only mountains."

A seed of doubt emerges. You could have sworn that you had the coordinates right. Why couldn't you guys find the air temple?

"Let's just walk one more mile, and if we don't find anything, then we can stop," you offer. They easily accept it and continue trekking through the mountainous terrain. It isn't long until you guys stop in front of one of the tallest mountains. Clouds obscure the peak of it, and it poses a daunting challenge.

"This is a stretch, but I think the temple is at the top of the mountain," you say.

"And we have to climb it?" Iroh is analyzing how to approach the challenge, but it's near impossible from this side of the mountain.

Before you can utter a word, you hear Hammy jump from out of your bag and bolt ahead, making a sharp right turn as it approaches the mountain. "H-HAMMY!"

"Is that the hamster from yesterday?!" Haku exclaims as he watches you run after it. Iroh doesn't utter a word and follows you swiftly. Knowing he was not going to receive an answer anytime soon, Haku joins Iroh in chasing you. "Why is she carrying a hamster around?"

"You think I'd know?" Iroh says in between deep breaths. When he sees you stopped by the side of the mountain, he comes to a complete halt, causing Haku to crash into his back. As they both stumble, they notice a rather large body before you devoid of life.

"Hammy... Why did you lead us to a dead body?" you ask the small rodent, who now occupies your right shoulder. It's looking rather proud of itself for its accomplishments amidst the morbid scene.

 "I... am... not... dead."

You let out a screech, slap the 'dead' body in the face, and jump backwards. Iroh and Haku step forward despite Haku's rattling body. As your heart races with fear, you scan the lifeless man and recognize the bag in his hands. "Oh... Wait. This is the old man from the forest!"

"Please," he starts again with little energy, "feed me."