『a tumultuous greeting

"We aren't accepting visitors," a gatekeeper declares, practically shouting for everyone to hear. However, the only ones in the vicinity are you three and the near hundred soldiers that guard the wall. 

The breathtaking beauty of the ice wall is now diminished by your disappointment and you attempt to plead with the gatekeeper. "We just traveled thousands of miles to visit--"

Your explanation is shut down by his evil glare, "No visitors."

Anymore arguing and you feel like you'd have waged war against the Northern Water Tribe. You glance back at your companions, who wear complex expressions and are silent. Through all the dangers and turmoils you've endured while traveling, it feels like it was all for naught with the water tribe closing itself off from the world.

Quietly, the three of you retreat to regroup away from the wall and face each other with gloomy expressions. "What now?" you sigh.

"I think something major must have happened during our trip," Iroh speculates with a low voice. "The Northern Water Tribe doesn't usually have these many soldiers out and about on a normal day."

Haku nods his head, "Yes, they usually have a diplomatic approach to most problems. It must be dire if they enlisted more soldiers to shield the wall."

"What in the world happened during our journey that the political climate changed so drastically?" you groan. 

There is shuffling and murmurs in the distance and your group begins to take note of it. Your conversation dies in an instant when your gazes land on the people passing by--vibrant red and yellow garbs, all folded in a way that makes you believe them to be airbenders.

With only two airbenders in the world, that would mean...

Your jaw drops when you make eye contact with Aang and his mini-me. Choking up, your finger proceeds to rise until it is pointing at the middle-aged Avatar. "A-A-AVA--"

Your finger gets slapped down harshly, and your body is whisked away from the airbender until he is but a speck in the distance. All hopes and dreams to meet the Avatar are now crushed as a result of Iroh's strength and speed.

"W-WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! THAT'S THE AVATAR!" you screech as your feet return gently to the floor.

Haku and his facial hair are right behind you two, and it's clear he had problems matching Iroh's speed. He wheezes as if he has an impediment in his lungs, "... That... was...close."

"Does anyone not want to meet the Avatar?" you question with one eyebrow raised.

"Not in particular," Iroh gruffly replies as he secures his hood to shadow his face.

"I think... I'll pass," Haku pants out with the last of his energy.

You stand there more confused than you have ever been. You've survived the most advanced books of math and pieces of science literature--but nothing is as difficult to comprehend than not wanting to see the Avatar.

"That's your loss, I'm going ahead to say hi and meet him." The second you finish your statement, you fly off to catch up to the Avatar and his mini-me. Excitement bubbles inside you, causing your heart to race and a smile to spread on your lips. 

However, when you make it to the wall, there's no sign of the airbenders. The guards are still cemented to their posts and glaring fiercely at you. Taking a big gulp, you glance around in hopes of catching a quick glimpse of him.

"You may pass," the gatekeeper announces randomly. You send him an inquisitive look and he explains, "The Avatar has stated that you are his companions."

"Uh..." You turn to see Iroh already at your side with Haku trailing sluggishly behind. "Y-Yes we are."

Without hesitation, they open the gate for you three (four if you include Haku's facial hair). Although Avatar Aang is not on the other side to greet you guys, the beauty of the Northern Water Tribe's capital is--which isn't a bad greeting either.