『a tale of Tonraq

A/N: I hope you guys notice what I'm referencing to with the following chapters including this one. Since I have the group in Ba Sing Se and I've been focusing too much on Iroh and the reader, I might as well open up a path for the other two to shine and give them more dimension. There are some cool guest appearances in 3 of the tales, and omg I can't wait for you guys to read them! Anyways, I promise we'll be back to the main storyline soon! Enjoy!

[____]

The following day, everyone follows through in going their separate ways. With Tonraq spending two full days dealing with the group's odd antics, he feels just fine in spending the day alone. There's only so much he can take after being somewhat sheltered all his life.

Today he dedicates his time to what HE wants to do. Haku had been kind enough yesterday to point out where the Ba Sing Se Zoo was situated; one ten-minute train ride, a fifteen-minute walk into the agrarian zone, and he now stood before the large zoo. He can smell the manure and various other putrid scents wafting over from the entrance. It causes him to remember the time he hid from his fiancée in the artic camel stalls with his actual girlfriend.

A bitter smile makes its way to his lips. He truly did cherish that girl, but the mess he made had her looking at him with disgust. He lost everything: his birthright, his family, his people, his fiancée, and his true love.

An exhale escapes him as he walks into the zoo. The exuberant amount of exotic animals is first to greet him, and as he ventures deeper, the overwhelming smell becomes stronger. But soon enough the awe of discovering new animals replaces his homesick attitude. A myriad of color enters his vision--birds of different pigments, reptiles donning deep greens and greys, mammals with no hair and pink skin; it's all unfamiliar to him but vastly interesting.

"That's amazing! I didn't know a turtle frog existed," the girl beside him gasps. Her kind voice and excited tone pull his attention onto her, a woman around his same age with similar water tribe garments. However, her clothes appear to be dated and not something anyone would be caught dead in from where he grew up.

"Are you from the Southern Water Tribe?" he asks without much thought. He blinks a few times at his intrusive comment. You must have rubbed off on him too much, allowing his curiosity to get the best of him.

The girl jumps at the sound of his deep voice and turns to face him. Tender icy-blue eyes capture his soul, and he's entranced by her beauty. At first, she sends him a shocked expression while a gasp escapes her, then a soft blush colors her tan cheeks. Quickly her embarrassment evolves into nervous jitters. "Ah... Umm...Hahaha... Can you tell?"

"I'm from the Northern side, so I'm not well acquainted with many Southern kinsmen... except for Katara and her family," Tonraq explains in a leveled tone in hopes of calming her nerves.

"Yes, yes, ahahaha, everyone knows about the great Katara and her family!"

He senses her discomfort and scratches the back of his head. "I apologize for startling you. It's my first time out here, and I'm just experiencing new things."

His sincerity wins her over, and she smiles widely. "Same here! It's my first time outside of the Southern Water Tribe, but I'm just here to get some herbs Katara needed and to explore a bit."

He enjoys the way she talks, the way her hands move about in an animated tone. He doesn't find many Northern Tribe women as clumsy and whimsical like her, and he's propelled to know more about her. "What's your name?"

"Senna!" she exclaims a little too excitedly. "Umm... Haha, that was loud."

Tonraq chuckles, and he doesn't realize how his deep laugh stirs her heart. "I'm Tonraq."

"That's a strong name for a strong guy... Oh god, did that sound weird?"

Her comments continue to bring light into his expression, and they remain inseparable throughout their time at the zoo. When the sunset finally paints the sky, they realize that it's the end of their time together, causing a gloom to loom over them.

"I have to get going early tomorrow. Maybe we can meet again someday," she suggests with a blush.

"My group will be heading to the Southern Water Tribe in the coming months. Maybe I shall see you there?"

The girl's eyes shine with hope. "I'd love that. Just ask for me and someone will point you to my igloo!"

They smile at each other, a strong connection forming and replacing the bonds he once broke. Maybe being banished wasn't all too bad.