『a date in Omashu!

Author's Note: In my head, I thought I posted this last week. x_x;;; Sorry, sorry. I'm gonna respond to the old comments now too, so please enjoy your first date with Iroh :3

[___]

As a little girl, you never thought your life would involve any spec of romance. Chained to the path of learning, you remained in captivity for a long time yet you yearned for normalcy. You wanted to be a simple teenage girl lost in the grandeur of love.

You walk out of the inn dressed in an authentic Omashu garb-- a silky green dress that extended to your ankles. Your shoulders are bare to the warm winds of the city and so are parts of your legs; your feet are adorned with simple forest green flats and your hair sits high in two buns with the clip Iroh had given you holding your bangs to one side.

Iroh wears similar clothes that match yours; a dark green tunic with baggy beige pants underneath. All the garments are courtesy of Haku's influence in the community. He might have dropped bread crumbs of his whereabouts but by the time they pick up his scent, your group will already be gone to the Southern Water Tribe.

As you two meet at the entrance, Iroh's gaze softens to an adoring look. "Ready?" he smiles and you nod your head. 

Never did you imagine that you'd be free to venture this world. Never did you imagine to be on a date. And never did you imagine it being with the Prince of the Fire Nation.

[___]

"That's not possible!" you cry out as you allow laughter to infect your body. The tremors of your laugh have you wheezing, all while Iroh continues his story about his grandmother.

"Yeah, my grandpa's dragon and I had matching hats. I kept mine, but I don't know what my mother did with the dragon's hat," Iroh chuckles.

"Man, that's great haha," you chuckle while finding some stability in your body. "I wish I had a family as whacky as yours... To be honest, I thought your family was dignified 100% of the time."

Iroh shrugs as he guides you two out of the small noodle shop. Hand in hand, you follow the whims of the boy which has you traveling towards a busy stand. The woman who operates said stand is whipping up icy treats in a quick fashion, serving them by the dozens. 

"That's new, I'm going to grab some for us," Iroh whistles out. He waits for your response, and when you nod, he places a quick peck on your temple before departing from your side. You watch on as he fights his way through a group of people that lack respect towards the notion of a single-file line. 

It doesn't take long for people to open up a path for him though, his voice and strength far outmatching their own. To be honest, the qualities of a ruler remain ingrained in his body, and those people recognize his superiority over them.

When he returns with two cones in his hands, he finds you blushing and in a daze. "[Name]?"

"O-Oh, thanks," you stutter out as you accept the cone he is offering you.

"That's a vanilla ice cream," he mentions before he begins to attack the cone. "Woah that's cold!"

You analyze his approach and mirror his movements. "Oh... Yup, that is cold wow." Iroh chuckles at your reaction which sucks you back into admiring him. Questions arise in your mind and you feel a need to ask them. "Iroh?"

"Hm?" He still has some of the treat in his mouth and attempts to gulp it down in one go. However, that results in a splitting brain freeze that paralyzes him for a brief moment. You watch on as he holds his head while his body jumps around to pull his attention away from the pain.

You give him a few moments to recover, and when he does, you provide the question. "I'm wondering why you choose someone like me?"

"Like you?" Concern paints his golden optics.

"I'm not trying to put myself down, but I was a stranger to you and you never saw me in that light for a while. I want to know why you decided to go out with me," your voice falls to almost a whisper by the last word, your nerves getting the best of you.

He realizes the importance of your question and approaches it with careful thought. His hand entwines with yours once more and he begins his answer. "I think what got me to realize what I felt for you was when we were fighting those outlaws. I jumped in there to save you because I was just so afraid of losing you," Iroh recounts his trauma. "Of course, I don't want to lose anyone in the group, but you... I just can't lose you."

"But do you mean that as like a friend?"

He shakes his head. "Not at all. Even though we're great friends, you've become way too special for us to be just friends. I don't want to risk you being with someone else."

You want to hide your face behind your cone and you do so in an awkward fashion. Iroh chuckles at your reaction, finding it quite endearing. "H-Hey! Stop staring!"

"It's too cute, I can't!" he teases while lowering his head to level with your eyes. "You know what? I think I'll have some," he says while taking a bite out of your ice cream. You screech and snatch the cone away from his lips, but it leaves your face open to any incoming attacks. He takes the chance and slides right in to plant a cold kiss on your cheek.

"Ew, you got ice cream on me!"

"I'll clean that right up," he hums. Not a moment is wasted and he drives right in, his tongue snaking over to touch your cheek. You stiffen up, butterflies fluttering inside your chest as your nerves get the best of you.

Before you have a chance to react, you hear shuffling in the bushes behind you and out appears your other companions. Tonraq, Haku, and Hammy reveal themselves in bush-like disguises--well, Tonraq's disguise looks more like a tree than anything but nonetheless a disguise!

"THAT'S ENOUGH YOU TWO!" Haku exclaims as he jumps out of a bush. 

You face pales at their appearance. "T-This feels like deja vu..."

Iroh, however, is far too familiar to the oddities of the group and responds in kind. "It's just a kiss on the cheek!"

"It's more like a lick," Tonraq mutters.

"Shameless..." Haku shakes his head. 

"Come on, it wasn't that bad," Iroh tries to defend himself, albeit poorly. 

"It was somewhat indecent," Tonraq counters.

"WE ARE HER OTHER BOYFRIENDS AND WE WILL NOT ALLOW--"

"Haku!" Iroh groans, "That was our disguise last time! You can't use it against me."

"Real question here," you interject with a deadpan expression, "when am I ever going to have a date that isn't chaperoned?" 

"Probably never," Tonraq says while scratching his cheek. "Not with this group."

"Clearly," you huff.