『 a looming threat

A/N: (written end of march)Yikes my health took a nosedive last month but I'm doing a little better. I really haven't been able to work let alone write, but thankfully it's under control. e_e;;

Anyways, a short update atm but I promise a much longer one next time. I'm already writing up the next chapter since I finally got the inspiration to continue. I used the incredible agni kai episode to give me inspiration on the intensity of Iroh's flames as well as the techniques used in this chapter. (im referencing a technique they use in this gif)

[5/19/2020] LMAO I NEVER POSTED THIS BECAUSE I DIDNT PRESS PUBLISH. Health got worse but I might be getting better. who knows im just trying, hope you guys enjoy!

[____]

The sound of whirling flames stuns the group into awe despite the impending casualties should the tornado continue. Tonraq eyes Team Avatar for any instruction yet it doesn't come. Toph breaks the silence first as she detects incoming participants.

"They're here!"

The group turns and spots Zuko and his son-in-law rushing over with determination in their expression. It's as if they have an unspoken plan already in motion and it renders true the moment they face the spiraling force.

"Ready?" Zuko yells. General Azusa nods his head in response and together they mirror each other's stance, knees slightly bent with their center of gravity closer to the group and their left arms pointed at the tornado. One last glance at each other and with the swing of their left arm in a rotating fashion, they whip out a torrent of fire in Iroh's direction.

"You're using fire against fire?!" Haku gasps from afar, concern etched in his features. Yet his worries fall at the sight of the two bursts of flames cutting through the tornado and pushing it apart.

Zuko and Azusa take in deep breaths before using both their hands to shape the two pieces of the tornado and push it away into the sky. Globs of fire reach higher and higher into the cold sky until the icy winds dissipate the remaining heat and create a layer of steam above the festival.

The immediate danger evaporates along with the flames. At the sight of Iroh collapsed but safe, both men fall to the group in exhaustion and relief. The rest of the group searches for any sight of the villainous group but to no avail.

"They used the diversion to get away," Sokka sighs.

Aang shakes his head as he knows the fierce blizzard over the tundras is too strong a hurdle to cross at this very moment. "They wouldn't dare attack again not when they're wounded and not when all the world leaders know of their existence in the area."

Toph scoffs, "We should finish them off but Twinkle Toes is right."

"I'm surprised you showed up to the festival," Sokka smiles.

Toph crosses her arms to mask her emotions. "I had nothing else better to do and they said there'd be good food."

Sokka glances over to Aang with a wider smile. "I guess that's a good way to entice her back."

Aang smiles softly but then returns his attention to his wife. "Katara, how is she?"

"A few broken ribs," she responds as her hands wave around your stomach. The sounds of her healing your internal injuries follow suit and the group watches on intently. There is some sense of guilt for not reacting sooner; an innocent life was almost lost tonight and the looming threat does nothing to ease their minds.

"It's a terrorist group," Aang mentions to the group, his expression solemn. "I truly don't think we can have the kids wandering around while that group is still out there."

Azusa glances up at the Avatar, "I agree. If possible, we need each of them escorted home at the earliest convenience."

Zuko nods his head. "Especially her. They wanted her dead because she probably knows too much."

Aang gazes at your unconscious form and sighs. "Well, it's a good thing she has surrounded herself with plenty of powerful allies or else something truly awful would have happened."

Those words churn in the back of Haku and Tonraq's mind, allowing them to truly see the fear of those around him. Their parents' worry now feels reasonable and their actions seem childish. Any mistake out there in the world can get them killed... can get others around them killed. And it's a risk they aren't willing to take anymore.