『salve for the wounds

A/N: I'm sure you didn't think I'd update this after taking a long break hehe... Me neither :,) If you guys think of any other loose ends or mini after stories you want, let me know in the comments and I'll see if it can be done. Right now, I have the wedding, something about Hammy, maybe a chapter or two about children? I'm still outlining things.

[-x-]

"There's a group of monks interested in meeting you," an attendant states. The door to your study is cracked open as she peeks inside with a look of confusion. 

You stare back at her oddly. "Oh? Did they look angry or excited?"

"I'm not sure, but they look different from the air nomads."

You recline in your chair as you ponder on the reason for this group's visit. To even attempt a meeting with you means they must book an appointment months in advance. No one has ever just dropped in on you now that you are tied to royalty. It may be considered an insult, but for monks to be the culprits of such a faux paus seems... weird.

Curiosity renders you amenable to the surprise, and you shrug, "I guess let them in."

She hesitates before following your command. Within minutes, the leader of the group emerges with the rest of them waiting in one of the palace foyers. At first you do not notice their face as they bow to you deeply, but when they raise their head, you gasp.

"Hieu!"

He smiles upon recognition and straightens his posture. "It has been a long time, [Name]."

You rush over to embrace him, though it is strictly platonic on your end. Before you disappeared, the man had been your loyal friend throughout the years. Last you saw him, he attempted to change the nature of your relationship and you had yet to give him an answer.

Such memories bring an awkwardness over you that makes you quiet. He spots the disquiet on your end and says, "You were always one to do great things. When I heard of the miracle that is spirit bending, it was no surprise when I found out who the instigator was."

"Ah... Thanks," you sheepishly laugh.

"But what surprised me was that you had married so quickly at the moment of your return." His smile does not budge, but you spot the tension on his face. The topic you want to avoid becomes the center of your conversation, and it seems he has no intention of hiding from confrontation.

You glance at the door to make sure it's closed before offering him the chair in front of your desk. When he takes it, you travel over to sit on your own. "Yes, it's been half a year already."

"Many congratulations."

Silence reigns free from his terse statement. Neither of you know how to address the situation in a manner that keeps your friendship clear of any change. Yet the more you think about it, the more you realize that Hieu's confession had already broken any ties to normalcy in this relationship. 

"I want to ask you something without sounding accusatory, but I don't know how."

"Please, go ahead." The calmness in his voice returns, giving you room to breathe.

But the question is still a difficult one to ask. Hesitation slows your delivery, but it's uttered nonetheless. "Did you intercept Iroh's attempts at reconciliation?"

That was the question that had plagued you for over a decade. When Iroh mentioned his gifts and letters, only one person had enough access to curtail anything from reaching you. 

Your assumption is met with a prolonged sigh that showcases his knowledge on the matter. "I see you knew about it. Nothing gets past you."

"So it's true," your body subtly slumps with disappointment. "Why?"