『unknown and alone

A/N: All I can do is say I'm sorry for the depressing angst that will be this chapter. I think we have like 4-5 more chapters for the story to end. Writing the ending is kinda the tricky part but comments definitely help! Hope you guys enjoy!

[x]

Iroh gazes up at the sky, the beautiful sky with dancing lights that paint it. Although the scene takes his breath away, it disappears in a matter of seconds. He can't help but wonder if this is the Avatar's doing but now is not the time to ponder.

He stares at a panting Gazan while the ground surrounding him is broken with lava. Kya stands far to his left while Tenzin is on his right. They have him cornered, though there is no sign of you and Korra.

"I'm guessing that's Korra and [Name] at the north," Kya states. "Which means they are both still alive."

Iroh's next breath comes out as a shaky sigh of relief. "We aren't too late then." Suddenly a cold shiver runs down his spine and he feels an odd premonition. It's as if the universe is telling him not to relax so soon.

"My leader is there, along with the strongest of the group. I doubt they are safe," Gazan chuckles. "You may have subdued me, but you are still too late."

Tenzin doesn't take the bait and speaks in his careful tone. "The team we sent to deal with them is more than enough to subdue the rest of you criminals."

"I see." Gazan raises his arms, "Then I know when I've been beat."

Iroh cannot move as more chills reverberate throughout his body. He doesn't trust the man before him but also cannot trust the calm that follows. "Kya," Iroh calls out and it is enough for her to understand his demands.

She waves her arms around to form icicles from the snow, pushing them together to confine Gazan. However, the moment he becomes entrapped, steam rises from the ice and they know he still wants to fight.

His words are but lies, desperate for the battle until his heart gives out. Iroh cannot find any mercy on such a tireless conviction. He propels forwards with his fire, rushing to the back of Gazen and with a quick spurt jabs the back of his head, forcing the man unconscious.

"We should get him locked up and away from Earth as quickly as possible," Tenzin instructs. "He is one of the most dangerous criminals the world has ever seen..."

Kya heaves out a sigh. "You're telling me..."

Iroh appears detached from the conversation as he continues to stare at the sky. "Hey, should the other group find [Name] and Korra, what's the signal we'll see?"

Kya eyes the boy and spots the overly concerned stare. As much as she'd like to tease, she wishes not to heighten his overwhelming anxiety. "Uncle Sokka said that one fireball into the air means they recovered 1 person. Two fireballs equals 2 saved. A stream of fire means they captured the bad guys."

Having reviewed the the signals, Iroh punches the air and allows a fire stream to ooze out and light the sky once more. Once it fades away, he continues to observe the sky for a response. No one answers from the north which preserves his fears. 

An hour passes and some soldiers have begun to transport Gazan to a more secure location, Iroh's father being part of the transport team. Not many can flee from his father due to his ferocious yet strategic finesse in battle-- a trait Iroh adopted into his leadership and fighting style.

As General Azusa leaves with the prisoner, a fireball travels up into the sky. A smile pulls at Iroh's lips, relief spreading within his chest. But then silence ensues.