『even through all the hardships

A/N: This chapter is coming out a little early since the next chapter is extremely long, and it's gonna take me a little over a month to complete since it shapes the last arc of the story. Even though I'm kinda tempted to write a post-arc. If that even makes sense.. Basically a few chapters for an epilogue that has it's own little arc to it. ANYWAYS please enjoy!!!

[___]

You take a sip of tea as you assess the workload in front of you. Mountains of papers stacked almost ceiling-high glare back at you. You sigh into the hot cup causing its steam to fan onto your face. You relish in its heat and continue the cycle.

"You know, if you're cold, I can bring you a blanket," your companion says in a wary tone.

"If I wanted a blanket, I'd ask, Hieu, but thanks for the offer." You eye the man who stands by the large double doors. Brown skin, marigold colored eyes, and long pin-straight hair. He stands at about two meters high yet possess a permanent gentle expression.

Ever since you moved to Republic City two years ago, you were given a bodyguard and an office at the capital. The biggest office in fact, far too grand for your liking with sky high ceilings and gold detailing. Hieu also boasts a grand feature, having come from a rare line of Earth Benders who specialize in a defensive technique of earthbending. Despite your protests, the office and bodyguard remained and you've learned to live with them.

Said man scratches the back of his head as he debates on whether to adhere to your wishes. It's plain on his face that he might still grab you a blanket, but your pointed stare perishes the thought.

"You have no appointments in the morning, surprisingly enough. So I'll just leave you alone to rejoice in your workload." The sarcasm brings a small twitch of a smile to your face.

"You don't want to provide me some company while I do this?" Your invitation comes off more flirtatious than intended, and you spot a hint of blush on his cheeks.

Guilt nips at your senses and your smile disappears. "Nevermind, I shall get this stuff done quick.

Before he can utter a word in response, a knock on the door acquires your attention. You nod for Hieu to permit the person entrance, and a familiar face appears at the doorway. 

Tenzin stands there with a newspaper on hand, concern etched in his face. His expression is nothing new as he stresses over anything, but the newspaper brings some suspicion. Hieu realizes this and excuses himself, closing the door behind him.

"A visit from my local bald monk? To what do I owe the pleasure?" you hum as you set your pen down. He grumbles at your greeting as usual and sits in the plush chair in front of your desk. You finish writing your last correspondence before setting your pen down and giving him your undivided attention.

"How are you doing with Iroh?" comes his curt inquiry.

You raise an eyebrow at the topic. "Why do you ask?"

"I usually don't look at gossip columns," Tenzin begins as he hesitantly slides the newspaper over to you, "but this caught my interest."

You grab the parchment hastily and give it a quick scan. A small black and white photo of Iroh graces a short section of the page; there, the title 'Bachelor Availability' splashes across the tiny piece of information they stole from him. It was small and curt interview of a reporter asking if he still is in a relationship. His response of 'I don't think so' amounts to a plethora of theories to the demise of your relationship, all wrong and slanderous.

The newspaper crumbles under your aggressive crunching as you bundle it up and throw it in the waste bin below you. "True, I never pictured you as a gossip reader."