『an awkward date [2.5]

Author's Note: If you're wondering how Tonraq's outfit looks like, just refer to the picture.

________

Seated in a corner of a dumpling shop, I, Iroh the Second, have done well to disguise our identities to follow [Name]. 

Seated in a corner of a dumpling shop, I, Tonraq the exiled crown prince, have done terribly to follow this group's unusual antics.

Seated in a corner of a dumpling shop, I, Haku the grandson of Minister Haru, have found the perfect beard to become my crumb collector. 

"Sir, we don't allow pets inside this establishment," the shop owner states in his most polite voice. Scowl in tow, Iroh glances up at the man as he chews on his straw obnoxiously.

"ARGH?"

"You sound like a pirate," Tonraq mentions lowly next to Iroh's ear. 

"Did that platypus bear talk?" The shop owner, a rotund man with ridiculously long sideburns, gazes intently at Tonraq's disguise. 

Tonraq flinches and distances himself from Iroh and the man. He tries to keep quiet, but the suspicion in the man's eyes only rouses his worry. The silence continues for a mere two seconds before Tonraq realizes what he must do.

"...Meow?"

He hears the other two snort and attempt to contain their laughter, all while the owner steps back in fear. "I've heard of a prophecy like t-this... A bear that challenges the fate of the Avatar. Long beak, soft voice, and muscular build... Oh, my, I am in the presence of greatness."

Haku and Iroh continue to tremble with laughter. He can practically see tears coming down their eyes and faces redden. As much as he'd like to have no part in this, he's already roped in and committed to his character.

"Please, ol' wise one. Give me a sign of my fate!" the man requests loudly. It captures the attention of some of his patrons, and upon noticing your incoming stare, he plays along as best he can.

"..Meooow."

"Your voice reached a lower pitch... Does that mean you are angered with me?" His voice shakes with worry. "How about I allow your meals to be free? Would that please you, sire?"

Tonraq nods his head to the best of his ability, earning him a satisfied sigh. As the man frolicks away, Tornaq releases a sigh of his own. "I can't believe I'm doing this..."

[____]

"I think we won at every stall," Haku speaks up as he tries to hold the latest prize they earned. He glances back to see the dried out stalls along with their owners glaring at the group. 

Tonraq holds the vast majority of prizes with his toned (furry) arms. "Let's just stick to our true objective."

"Sorry, sorry. I got carried away," Iroh chuckles. Truly it was his fault for the mass annihilation of all the stalls. Having never been to a festival, he instantly immersed himself to acquire all the prizes possible. It felt as if it was his sole mission to wipe the stalls clean as he performed all the small tasks asked of him.

"You do know there's something called common courtesy, right?" Haku asks. Iroh scrunches his eyebrows together, and it's enough for Haku to understand his confusion. "The stall workers need to make money, and there are also a lot of other people who want to win the prizes too. You have to show some consideration for them."

"I thought the objective was to go all out and win..." Iroh scratches the back of his head. 

"Sometimes, but you kind of took it too far," Haku responds. 

Iroh nods his head as he breathes in the bout of knowledge. As he remains in his pensive state, his gaze wanders around the crowd of people. He's brought out of his thoughts the moment the light show begins, and when he glances up, he spots you not too far into the distance.

He smiles as he sees your face illuminate under the different colors of light. You sport a radiant expression, one of innocent awe and joy. He feels as if he can watch you forever, and soon enough, he forgets about the light show and does just that.

However, when he sees you flinch, his body tenses up. He follows your gaze as they travel down to your hand, and his heart sinks. Your hand is intertwined with Li's, and you don't seem to mind it at all. 

If only he understood what this pain in his chest meant...