『oven-baked plan

A/N: I always enjoy writing light-hearted stuff so I'm just having fun with this -w-

[x]

"The oven is cooking."

That's the message that Iroh decodes as he sits in his office in a panicked state. The way his assistant rushed to hand him this small card had him believing something amiss. Yet after he deciphered it, he now remains in a state of stupor.

"Who sent this?"

"Your wife!"

Iroh's eyebrows furrow with thought. 'Is there another message to this?' He flips the card, but its backside is empty, leaving him even more confused. Why send a message? If you had something to say, there are telephones now. Second, why did you send a coded message? Third... What does this message even mean?!

"Get her on the phone," he sighs out his command. His assistant rushes to his desk to begin the procedures in gaining a connection to the palace phone. It takes nearly ten minutes to receive an update of your whereabouts and another ten for you to finally arrive on the phone.

The call transfers over to Iroh's office, who shuts his door for privacy. "Hello?"

"Hello!" you chirp.

Upon hearing the enthusiasm in your voice, Iroh exhales as relief fills him. "Babe, what in the world did you send me? Couldn't you have waited until I got back home this weekend?"

"You got my message!"

"Yeah, but what does that even mean?"

"Oh... I thought it was a good announcement."

"Did you get a new oven at the palace?" Iroh tries to guess with a smile. "You've been wanting to try a lot of new things, but do you really want to bake?"

"No, no. This is a metaphorical oven."

"Metaphorical?" Iroh whispers to himself. He's in deep rumination as you remain silent for him to discover your meaning.

But he seems just too confused and you provide another clue. "You put something in my oven and now it's baking!"

"Is it an idea?... Wait, don't tell me!" he gasps.

"Yes!"

Iroh remains stunned on the phone as you giggle with excitement. If he is correct in his assumption, then this spells bad news for some but better news for him. He's always wanted you to move back to Republic City, and it seems that the idea has finally flourished. "Are you sure about it?"

"As sure as I'll ever be. I'm a little nervous, but I know it's going to be a great thing for us," you hum with glee. "Oh my, oh my. I just had to tell you first! It was so hard keeping the secret, but now I'm going to tell everyone!"

He can only imagine how sad his family will be to not have you around at a daily capacity again. When you two had been on a break from the relationship and you moved to Republic City, his whole family finally started traveling to the city to visit you... Not him, just you. He's still bitter over that, but you leaving again will break their hearts once more.

Iroh won't say a word of his family's grief and instead relishes the fact that you gave in to his pleas, "Deliver the news to them gently."

"Why? Do you think they will be upset about it?"

"I'm a little worried how they will react to the news."

"They'll be happy for us, I just know it. Anyways, I gotta run! Granny is trying to make me her sparring partner and you know that I can't firebend. I'll get toasted again."