『a lost soul

A/N: Work has been really hectic as they've finally been giving me more challenging work. Now it's kinda getting difficult to post during my lunch break since I basically don't have one haha. I will respond tomorrow to comments though. Please enjoy a cute little update c:   //a whole ton of ATLA and LOK characters are coming soon, and I'm hella excited for it!

[___]

With a map neatly placed in the middle, the group analyzes the parchment in a pensive state. "Kiyoshi Island or the Southern Water Tribe?" you ask for the last time.

"Well, now that we're using Prez to give us a ride, we can head straight to the Southern Water Tribe," Iroh adds.

"It would still be nice to learn about the history of this historic island," you press but then warily eye Tonraq. "But we did promise Tonraq we'd go to the Southern Water Tribe. We made a lot of pit stops before it too."

Tonraq shrugs at your concern. "I am fine heading to where the majority wants."

"Hmm... Haku, you have any ideas?"

"I've already been all over the Earth Kingdom. The Water Tribe does sound more appealing to me."

"I see." You cross your arms as you draw up your conclusion. "I guess we just head straight to the water tribe."

[___]

While traveling underwater, you appoint Tonraq to encase the group in a water bubble to keep oxygen in and the freezing water out. This allows your group to travel safely on Prez's back as he heads for the Southern Water Tribe.

"So what's the first thing you want to do there?" you question as you turn your head to face Tonraq. When he notices your attention on him, he realizes it's his questions to answer.

"I'm... finding a new home."

"Ah, that's right. You're the banished prince... Do you care to tell us how exactly you became banished?" You return your gaze onto Iroh's back, securing your arms tighter around his waist and resting your face on his back. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to."

Tonraq appreciates the privacy you offer him. It gives him time to gather up his thoughts on how to respond. "Our tribe... has been dealing with a high influx of barbarians. They used to be Northern Water Tribe citizens, but our pristine way of life drove them out of their home."

"But you guys have always been like that," Iroh adds in. "Northern Water Tribe people have always presented themselves as graceful and cold."

"Yes, I am aware," Tonraq states slowly, "the few who hold some semblance of warmth have always been mistreated, and those barbarians were once good people." Tonraq heaves out a long sigh. "I thought I was protecting my people in the way that they had wanted me to, but in the end, I disrupted the sacred forest. To my people, any disgrace to the spirits is a disgrace to them."

"That's harsh... Shouldn't they worry more about their people than the spirits?" Haku mumbles.

"I agree!" you gasp. "I mean, yes it is important to respect the spirits and their history, but when the person right in front of you makes a mistake to protect his people, they shouldn't abandon him!"

Tonraq lets out a forced chuckle. "It's fine. That's just how they are."

"Well, they don't deserve you then," you huff. "I'm glad the Southern Water Tribe will have the pleasure of housing you."

"I don't even know if they'll allow me in after what I've done," Tonraq shrugs.

Haku shakes his head. "That's nonsense! If there's one thing I know about them is that they value family a lot more than spirits." 

You can practically hear Tonraq's smile from the distance. Said man stares up at the blurry sky but comes to an epiphany about this trip. Never has he experienced such a view in his life. The sun's attempt to penetrate through the water's surface bounces off the colorful coral reefs, creating a vivid ambiance. Schools of fish and marine creatures dance along the currents, and before they can even greet your group, they notice the unagi and scramble for cover.

Actually, no one in the marine hierarchy dares to near your group, keeping you safe from the dangers that might be lurking around. However, that gives you guys the chance to explore the frozen corals and untouched icebergs that lay hidden in the aquatic underworld.

These are sights he might have never witnessed had he not been banished. All his life he never felt truly at peace with himself, having no one to accept his overwhelmingly caring heart. As much as he respected the spirits, he loved people far more. And after having been with this traveling group, he's now aware that he never did belong with his "people". 

"And if they don't let you in, you always have a place at the Fire Nation palace," Iroh concludes. "We don't abandon our own kind--well, not since my gramp's time."

"Thank you," Tonraq whispers as his heart mends just a little more upon knowing that he no longer will be the lost soul of the Northern Water Tribe.