『a miscalculation of epic proportions

You can practically touch Iroh's tension. It started early this morning when he knocked on your door and offered to take you to the local shops as an apology; his body was rigid, his walk awkward and voice strained. You speculate it has to do with him crashing your date, and once again, you try to remind him how you just don't care.

"It wasn't like that guy was going to be my boyfriend. I just wanted to go have fun," you bring up once more. Iroh flinches but doesn't say a word. "Ahhhh whatever... I won't turn down a free gift."

You hum to yourself as you scan the next shop. This one, in particular, holds shining emeralds in the forms of random items. Need an emerald dustpan? Done, now people understand your worth. Need an emerald blanket? Don't know how it functions, but bam! Need an emerald shoelace? This is your place!

Chuckling, you poke and inspect each item. It isn't until you stop in front of an emerald mirror that you pause for a brief moment. You stand in wonder at how the mirror's glass is made of emerald, making it be a poor display. You can hardly see yourself, but the image of Iroh's inner turmoil strikes your eyes. He doesn't notice your gaze in the mirror as he keeps his eyes on the floor. You watch carefully as he ponders seriously, then shakes his head as his face reddens. You're mesmerized by his flurry of emotions, and it's then you realize the changes in his appearance.

His sculpted hair is now shaggy and tousled; his skin is tanner and dry from the air's lack of moisture. His muscles are more defined, and he might have grown an inch or two. "Woah..."

Iroh finally glances up to see your stare from the mirror. "W-What?"

"I just realized how different you look since the first time I met you."

Iroh lifts his hand to cup his chin. "I think it's been almost three months."

"It feels like forever though," you laugh. "Who knew these journies would be so taxing?"

"But I'm glad I'm on it," Iroh grins. You reciprocate the grin, feeling relieved that he's back to his charming self.

Someone coughs awkwardly behind you, and you whip your head around to see two girls. One refuses to make contact with either of you while the other forces out a smile; she wears long, flowing pink and yellow robes that reak of nobility. Her hair is in three high buns with a gold clasp at the bottom of each. "We're trying to view the item."

Iroh freezes for a brief second then quickly moves his head away from everyone's vision. "I'll uh.. see you at the inn later..." He doesn't give you an explanation as to why he lowered his voice to an almost unrecognizable tone. Instead, he just bolts away at the speed of light.

"W-Well then..." You return your attention to the two girls as you move to the side. "Sorry about that."

They step forward to look at the mirror, and you can't help but gaze at the other girl. Her skin is deathly pale, but her long black hair is nicely contrasted by it and is swept to one side with a clip. Her bangs stop short above her almond-shaped eyes that hold a beautiful golden tint to them. She's the epitome of a fire nation beauty, and you feel inferior standing before her. She pays you no attention, her gaze lazily wandering around the shop. Her parasol keeps most of the sun away from her porcelain skin, giving her a dainty air.

The three-bun girl notices your lingering stare and gives you a small bow. "Sorry for barging in on you and your boyfriend."

"T-That's okay." You're too stunned at their beauty to deny their assumption.

Uninterested optics slide onto your form to inspect. She isn't impressed but lets out a small greeting. "Good afternoon..."

You don't know how to respond, and after a minute of silence, the other girl jumps in with a laugh. "Don't worry about her. She's just upset that her fiance is missing,"

The gloomy girl pouts and crosses her arms. "He isn't missing. He just fled before our wedding."

"Technically the same thing."

You watch their banter with wide eyes. Your mind is racing a mile a minute, and for some reason, you chime in. "There's an effective way to find him by using his scent."

You capture the girl's intrigue as she focuses her attention on you. "Tell me."

You feel small under her gaze but oblige. "Shirshus can track people from anywhere in the world using their scent. You can find Shirshu handlers here in the city, so it shouldn't be difficult to acquire one."

The two stare at you in awe, and after a minute of pure silence, the beauty finally speaks up. "I see... Since you are so knowledgeable, why don't you accompany us to the palace? We might need your assistance a little more."

"I'm sorry, I--"

"I'll provide monetary compensation for your time," she adds.

"O-Okay!"

"Your name?" she asks with authority. You weakly provide your name, and she nods her head. "I'm Melina."

"That's a pretty name," you think out loud. You gasp at your mistake, but the girl's smile reassures you that you have done no wrong. 

"Thank you. My fiance used to say the same thing," she says softly.

"I'm sure we'll find him!" you exclaim as every fiber of your being yearns to help this girl. 

And unfortunately for SOMEONE, a friendship begins to brew between you and Melina.