『an apparent divide

Tonraq's gaze bounces from Iroh to you, his eyebrows knit with confusion. Although he had joined the group two days ago, he already knows that if you two weren't speaking to each other, something was off. He recalls during his time alone with Iroh how the boy spoke highly of you as if you two have been friends for years. There were so many adjectives he used to describe you: intelligent, loyal, and strong. However, when you returned alone in tears with Iroh taking the next trip down, it didn't appear that Iroh would use those same adjectives to describe you.

Haku tried to inquire, but you refused to speak about it while Iroh...

"I SERIOUSLY DON'T UNDERSTAND GIRLS!"

No one bothered to approach the situation again, and after a night of rest, the two of you have yet to speak to one another, resulting in a tense atmosphere and a very confused Tonraq. Thankfully, a nearby city comes into view which breathes life into the group.

"Why don't we split up and grab some stuff for the road?" Tonraq suggests in a calm manner so as not to step on any toes.

You whip your head around to face Haku, and your mouth opens to call for him as your partner. However, Iroh cuts in with no regards to your feelings. "I'll take Haku."

"...I thought you were buddies with Tonraq?" You narrow your eyes at him, a frown marring your features. Hammy, who is seated comfortably on your shoulder, mirrors your expression, sending Iroh a death glare.

He doesn't answer and grabs Haku by the arm, tugging him away from the group and towards the food section. With him having most of the coin, you glance up at Tonraq and let out a sigh. "What else do we need for the group?"

Tonraq scratches his head while pondering. "Hmm, Iroh did mention that you needed a hood. I also would like to look at the weapons."

You nod your head as you follow Tonraq into the town with little enthusiasm. You're deep in thought as you gaze around at the scenery. With the town right on the bay, warm wind blows along the poorly constructed infrastructure. The roads aren't straight and lined with sand and dirt, and the buildings are still constructed from wood. Although the town displays no modernization, there's an authentic charm present in it.

It's a far cry from what you've usually seen, and ultimately this is what the trip is about. Not boys or romance, but actually exploring your diverse world.

"Did Iroh give you your present?"

You snap out of your thoughts and gaze up at Tonraq. He isn't looking at you, his eyes still wandering around to take in the town. "I did," you reply slowly.

"You aren't happy about it?"

He's trying to make sense of what happened yesterday, and you appreciate his gentle approach to it. "It's beautiful... I just wish Iroh was more aware of his actions."

"I... don't exactly know what that means, but I can tell you this." Tonraq stops to turn and face you. There's a soft expression on his face, and you can't help but feel as if he's acting like the father you never had. "He was very nervous in picking out something for you but also excited to give you something."

Your heart hammers. "That's exactly my point. I don't understand his feelings."

"He doesn't either." He pats your shoulder to cheer you up. "He's never bought a present for a girl before with his own money. A lot of things are happening to him are a first for him."

A million questions spring up in your mind. Why hadn't he bought one for his fiancee? Why did he specifically choose you for a present? Are there any underlying feelings to this?

'ENOUGH!'  You slap your cheeks in an attempt to keep your emotions at bay.

Tonraq does a double-take when he realizes that you hurt yourself. He lifts his hand to help but he isn't sure how and leaves them awkwardly in the air. "[Name]?!"

"I need to stop acting like this!" you exclaim to yourself. You swiftly glance at Tonraq, determination fierce in your eyes. "I'm going to apologize to him!"

He nods his head hesitantly and watches as you sprint in the opposite direction. With a shrug of his shoulders, he returns to his objective while hopping for the best.