『a determined group

[A/N]: Ugh I just wanna feel better. Anyways, my writing schedule is super whack cause of my health. Should be better within the next 2 months and I can go back to regular updates. For now, please enjoy the group reunion! Sorry if there are any typos, my editing is super rusty. And I will respond to comments soon.
[___]

At the feeling of pain, your eyes blink open. A bluish white color fills your view and it takes a moment for your eyes to adjust to the light. Once they do, you notice a few bodies scattered around your portion of the igloo. Tonraq and Haku are seated not too far from your sleeping bag, resting against the wall, while Iroh lays next to you with his head on your torso.

The serenity provides some sense of relief. You're alive and so are they. Tears line your eyes but you remain stoic. Your hands reach out to pat Iroh's disheveled locks of hair, but the gentle touch appears to be enough to rouse the boy out of his slumber. His eyes snap open and his first reaction is to glance up at you. When his optics meet yours, tears slide down his cheeks instantly and he springs up to embrace you.

"OW- Ow ow ow," you gasp while pushing him off.

Iroh lets go and lets you fall back down onto your pillow. "S-Sorry!"

As you groan in pain, the boy watches you carefully while the others stir from their sleep. "Is she up?" Haku mumbles.

Iroh nods his head and upon noticing your conscious state, Haku jumps up from his spot. This causes Tonraq to stagger into an alert state. Their eyes now focus on you and it takes them a minute to finally react to your awakened form.

Immediately, they rush over to embrace you. Again, you feel the pain and you let out a squeak. "Yeeeess!! Thank you, thank you, thank you," Haku chants as he gives you a thousand kisses all over your face.

Iroh disapproves the gesture, and his fingers twitch with the need to knock out Haku. However, he clenches his jaw to refrain himself and gives out a warning. "I'll allow it only once," Iroh states with furrowed eyebrows.

Neither Haku or Tonraq listen as they smother you with relief. You welcome their outpour of emotions, returning the embrace as you shed tears. "I'm so happy... Everyone is okay."

They hum in agreement and remain still in each other's comfort until a chorus of empty stomachs screams for their attention. Haku and Tonraq pull apart from you, laughing at the noise. Thankfully, Tonraq thought ahead and takes out an apple from his side bag. He begins carving it into slices for the group as he speaks up, "So what exactly were you doing out there?"

You know the question is directed at you and your body squirms for any answer. Iroh's gaze travels nervously to you and then onto the floor in shame. "The reason feels so menial compared to what had happened afterwards..."

Tonraq nods and distributes the cut slices to the group. "Well, it led you to the outskirts so it mustn't be that menial."

It's clear he wants answers and he won't budge until the truth is given. You bite your lip and when you notice Iroh sigh and nod his head, you divulge the information he wants. "I was upset that Iroh still hadn't broken up with Mel—" Haku screeches and drops his slice "—and I hated how much she knew about me. It was a mixture of embarrassment and anger that made me just run."

Haku reaches down for the fruit and beams it at Iroh. "What were you thinking?!"

"H-Hey! It was an accident!" Iroh tries to defend himself but he knows he can't validate his actions. "Look, I got swept up with the part that I got a girlfriend that I forgot about Mel. It was wrong of me, I know."

You pout, "More than wrong."

"But it's just Mel," Iroh shrugs.

His nonchalance causes you to throw your apple slice at Iroh (much to Tonraq's dismay). "JUST MEL? That's so inconsiderate! She's been by your side for years and it's so clear she actually loves you. You can't be cruel to her even though she's a hag!"

Your words inspire a deep inflection for the boy and the room falls quiet. As Iroh ponders on your words, the sound of Tonraq cutting into a new apple echoes in a systematic manner. Meanwhile, Hammy scrambles across the ground in hopes of securing the forgotten apple slices.

"You're... right..." Iroh sighs. "Mel doesn't deserve that sort of attitude. Neither do you. I'm sorry for my carelessness and I promise I will end things with her today."

As Tonraq hands you another slice, you accept it and immediately beam it at Iroh's face. "YOU STILL HAVEN'T BROKEN UP?" you yell.

"Ow! You got my eye!" Haku beams his at Iroh's other eye. "STOP!"

Haku grits his teeth. "You're already a blind fool so why does it matter if we take out both your eyes? You want the full apple?" It appears he had rummaged through Tonraq's bag to grab the rest of its contents. Tonraq raises his arms in a huff as he gives up on feeding the group.

"NO! LOOK I'M STUPID, I KNOW!" Iroh groans. "But I ran after [Name] and then the thing happened. Her safety was all I can think about in that moment."

His surprisingly sweet admittance salvages him from another fruit beating as Haku coos. "Cuuute."

You blush and tuck your hair behind your ear. "Okay, you're forgiven..." Iroh sighs with relief. "So... what do we do now?"

A darkness looms over the group and you realize you hit a nerve. Iroh's lower lip trembles but he holds his emotions steady. "That group... they want you dead. They say you know too much."

Your lips form a tight line as you recall your conversation with them. As it replays in your head, you come to the conclusion that it's best not to hand over such information... for their safety. It's better that only you are hunted than them.

"Those people are terrorists," Haku mentions, "because of this, the world leaders do not want us to continue our journey."

Your stomach flops at the news, but you take a moment to process your feelings. There are still two places that the group needs to see, and you don't want to give that up. You guys are so close to finishing your journey.

"I don't know what's going to happen... but I want to continue our adventures."

"Those people are terrorists, [Name]!" Haku tries to remind you.

"I know! But... I can't just stop here. I don't want to give our group up until our journey is done," you reason. "We still have the air temple nearby and the fire nation colonies. Please... Please, can we do this as a group? Or do I have to go alone?"

Silence falls upon the group as they try to come up with reasons to protest. However, the thought of you going on your own secures their involvement. "I'll always be by your side," Iroh states with confidence.

"I'll go too," Haku nods his head.

Tonraq lets out a shaky sigh. Nothing about this feels right, but he feels obligated to keep you all safe. "Fine. Come up with an idea to sneak out of here and we will support you."

You beam the biggest smile you can muster which incites another group hug. It lasts a good minute or so and when you finish, they are greeted by your determined expression.

"Okay so first we gotta kidnap Tentacles," you begin explaining your idea.