『a truth unspoken

You return to the inn with a lack of spirit. Today's adventures had been far too much for you and had despaired you of a smile. As your feet trudge up the stairs into the corridor, you head straight to your room. When you find it, you turn the lock and heave out a sigh.

"Oh! [Name] has returned!" you hear Haku exclaim from down the hall. You weakly turn your head to see the excitable boy, who is soon joined by Iroh and Tonraq. The way they pant indicates their restless desire to see you, and you drop your guarded stare. 

"Hey," you cough out as your throat wavers. 

Relieved faces soon morph into that of worry at the sound of your low voice. Tonraq steps forward, and he stares you down with an analytical gaze. "Are you okay?"

You eye Iroh for a brief second, and his hectic expression gives credit to what you have learned today. "Yeah, just a long day. I need to rest."

"Iroh left you in the shops and came back shaken. Are you sure nothing happened?" Haku speaks up from afar. He glances at the both of you with shifty eyes, his stare on Iroh appearing more annoyed than concerned. 

"I just found some work. I don't think we'll make it to the Southern Water Tribe with the way we spend our money. I'll have it completed tomorrow, and we can head south the following day." Your lackluster enthusiasm has them all even more concerned.

"Work? From who?" Haku asks gently. "And didn't you want to see the palace?"

"I already saw it since it's someone from the palace that needs help. It's nothing bad, they just need my smarts." You wave your hand around, forcing a smile to ward off their concerns. You can tell that they don't buy it, Iroh being the least convinced, but you're thankful that they notice your need to drop the subject.

"So, tomorrow is another free day, and then we can head south," Tonraq announces as he scratches his beard. "I suppose I can try out the zoo they have in the area."

"Ohh! I heard Avatar Aang helped create that zoo!" Haku exclaims while walking beside Tonraq. They continue their conversation as they head to their room, leaving Iroh and you alone in the corridor.

Judging by the look in his eyes, you know you can't escape into your room just yet. However, you lose the confidence to continue eye contact with him, and your gaze falters and secures itself onto the door handle. "I need to go."

You hear him approach you, and when you finally glance upwards, you spot the torn expression on his face. "Did something happen?" His voice holds a gentle tone, loving in nature and portrays his true feelings towards you; he really cares for you to the point of self-destruction.

But it hurts to hear him sound like this as you recall the lovely woman you left today at the palace. "What do you think happened?"

Iroh flinches and tries to find a way to distract his nerves. He settles for scratching the back of his head as he formulates his response. "I... I honestly don't know."

You let out another heavy sigh and decide it best to leave it be. As much as he cares for you, he doesn't trust you enough with his secrets. "Okay. Goodnight, Iroh."

You don't allow him another word as you rush into your room and close the door behind you. When he hears the door lock, Iroh takes a moment to realize how he lost his opportunity to smooth matters over. As soon as regret settles in, his body presses against the wall and proceeds to slide down to the floor. He rubs his forehead with the palm of his hand and exhales loudly.

"I'm sorry, [Name]... If only I was braver," he whispers out. He remains that way for another few minutes until it's time for his shower. One last look at your closed door and he leaves with a heavy heart.