『a long way home

You guys slowly come to a halt when you no longer feel his presence. Panting, you try to recuperate some oxygen but your heart beats fast with adrenaline. There was something odd about the man back there; subtle evil wrapped in feigned humanity. As normal as the man appeared to most, his words and demeanor held ill intent for you, and everyone in the group could feel it from afar.

Though you were in his presence for mere minutes, you knew that if that man had wanted to, he could have followed you guys... But he didn't. 

It leaves your group with a sense of dread, and when night falls upon you, the campsite is once again under harsh tensions. Eating your dinner gingerly, you're seated beside Tonraq, whose body is on high alert. You don't have the energy to be as alert and keep to your basic senses.

"I don't think he followed, but we probably might have a few people trying to find her," Haku states in an attempt to console the group.

It doesn't help and Iroh lets out an exasperated sigh. "This is why you should cover your face during the trip."

You frown upon hearing his harsh words. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't think we would be hunted down during our journey!"

"That's weird. I thought you knew everything."

You jump to your feet and hurl whatever was in your lap. Unfortunately for Hammy, he was curled up and asleep in that nuclear zone and was chosen as the sacrifice. In .01 seconds the hamster goes flying across the campfire and beamed directly at Iroh's face. The boy yelps in pain as you storm off into your tent.

The other two just watch silently as Iroh grumbles to himself while dusting off Hammy. The atmosphere turns heavier, and Tonraq decides to speak up. "She was going to apologize to you before she got into trouble."

Iroh's eyes widen while Haku quickly adds to the conversation. "So was Iroh."

A few moments of silence pass, and it's then that Iroh's resolution strengthens. Grabbing the small rodent, he marches over to where your tent is stationed. A few inhales and exhales, and he proceeds to announce his arrival. "[Name]... Can I come in?"

It feels like an eternity, but you finally open the flap of your tent. He's greeted by your glare and swallows thickly at the sight. Quietly, he enters and seats himself next to the entrance as a safety precaution; one wrong word and it feels as if he might be murdered.

"Hey so...Umm..."

"What?" you spit out.

"I... Sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you back there," he begins slowly. "I'm not happy that those people recognized you, and I took my frustrations out on you."

Your guarded stance weakens at his apology. Shoulders slump, you warm up to his presence. "I'm sorry for beaming Hammy at you."

Iroh chuckles and hands you your companion. Hammy is pouting profusely, and you take him and place him on your lap. Iroh watches on as the rodent is lulled into slumber by your petting, and a smile makes way onto his lips.

"You're so funny."

You tilt your head. "Oh?"

"I can never tell how you're going to react to certain things," he continues. "I don't know what I did wrong, but if it is any consolation, I never meant to hurt you."

Your heart drops and guilt eats at you. "Your present made me happy."

"That's a relief," he laughs.

"The words that came with it... They made me a little too happy. I am also new to all this, so I'm not sure how to interpret some things," you explain. "I don't usually have boys giving me presents."

Your words give him a sense of comfort, and he sighs out with relief. "Well, I'll think properly next time I say something."

"That's new!"

"Hey, I'm still learning!" Iroh counters.

"Yeah, same here..."

As you two smile at each other, you feel your connection stabilize once more. No longer was there a divide between you two; instead, your bond has deepened. 

"I guess one day you'll get used to my reactions," you hum.

"True, we're going to be together for a while now."

Nodding your head, you return your gaze to Hammy. "Poor little guy. I'm sure it must have hurt to collide with your head."

"What about me? I still have a mark!" Iroh playfully exclaims.

"You'll be fine. Guys are hard-headed after all!"

He rolls his eyes jokingly. "Fine, fine. How about we go next to somewhere you want to go, as a way to apologize."

Your eyes sparkle with mirth, and it captivates the boy. "The royal palace in Ba Sing Se!"

His elation crumbles at your request. "... I take it back."

"You can't! We're going there!" you gasp. "I'll beam Hammy at you if we don't go."

"That's a terrible threat!"

Instinctively, you both glance at Hammy; however, he's already long gone due to the high-risk situation.