『a grand festival [1]

A/N: Who knew apartment hunting would take the majority of my free time? Yikes... Anyways, we're in the last part of the arc which I'm really trying to grab any sort of motivation to write this out correctly. Red Lotus' ideals are so complex and I don't wanna half-ass it.  

[___]

Bright colors decorate the city's dullness from winter while an overabundance of stalls line up the streets with an array of food, games, and souvenirs. Flashing lights entice the patrons to participate in what the festival has to offer, attracting a wide variety of people.

The festival reeks of modern civilization yet still holds its traditional nature in that it appreciates the spirits. Children and adults both gravitate towards the entrance with awe on their faces, having never seen such a spectacle at the Southern Water Tribe. It has been decades since the end of the war, and when several citizens from all the different nations step into the festival, the proof of this everlasting peace strengthens.

"It seems I was quick to jump to a negative conclusion about you," Unalaq states as he walks up to you. 

You peel your satisfied expression away from the festival entrance to face the tall boy's steely facade. Tonraq gives his brother a nod of greeting while Iroh, who stands firm by your side, sends you a look of inquiry. You can sense the heat of jealousy radiating off of him and you slip your hand into his, giving Unalaq even more of a difficult platform to give his apology.

"Please do elaborate," you smirk.

"...My father wrote back and said that you saved him from a ferocious creature. You have my gratitude and that of the Northern Water Tribe," he bows slightly. Tonraq stands there agape at the new twist of events, while Iroh eyes you oddly.

Before you can boast and further anger the Water Tribe prince, he takes his chance and quickly departs, leaving a very shocked Tonraq and Iroh. 

Iroh gives you a small nudge when he snaps out of his state. "When did you save Tonraq's dad?"

"It's a secret," you smile.

Iroh knows he'll get an answer sooner or later and continues on, "Fine, but I'm taking you on a date."

"We need to oversee the festival though," Tonraq counters. 

"Why don't you take what's-her-face on a date too," Iroh suggests. "Haku is currently managing the festival and he said he doesn't need any help."

Tonraq sends him a look of complete doubt but the mention of his new love interest flushes out any other thoughts. "... She did say she wanted to walk around with me."

Iroh slaps Tonraq's back a few times. "That's the spirit!" He then proceeds to turn and give you thumbs-up, having secured time for date night.

[__]

Hand in hand, Iroh and you finish the night enjoying the fruits of your labor on top of a hill overlooking the festival. Every visit to each stall results in a free item due to your title as Festival Supervisor. Not one person allows you to leave ungifted, the enormous amount of profits commandeering any sort of penny-pinching.

You relish in their generosity as you happily scarf down some pastries in the obscurity of the hill. Iroh refuses to let go of your hand and so you go one-handed on the treats. 

"Man, they made us feel like royalty there," you sigh with content.

"Well, you are going to be royalty once you marry into my family. You should get used to that sort of treatment."

At the mention of marriage, your entire face drowns in red and you glance down to hide your blush. Iroh smirks at your reaction and lowers his head to fully appreciate your display of embarrassment. "You look cute."

"S-Shut up," you stutter out. Steam fizzles out of your head, and all Iroh can do is chuckle at the mess he created. 

"It's true though, you will be my queen one day," Iroh presses.

The light ambiance crumbles under the strength of a dark aura behind you two. A shiver runs down your spine and you glance up to see pure anger emitting from a familiar face.

"Oh, will she?" Melina purs out with venom in each word.

"Melina."
"Mel." 

You despise the taste of her name, and you especially despise her nickname rolling out of his mouth.

"Iroh, dearest," she saunters over to him and presses her body close to his side. "How dare you try to replace me... to even think about cheating on me."

"Cheat?" you scoff. "Didn't you guys break up already?"

A silence envelops the conversation for a brief moment as Iroh makes an 'o' face. "When would I have been able to? We've been traveling and the last time I saw her was back in Ba Sing Se."

More silence as your brain finds all the flaws to his defense. "Maybe write a card or something?" You throw your hands in the air in disgust. "Our location has already been public knowledge to everyone, and you had all this time here at the Southern Water Tribe to write her something!"

Iroh scratches the back of his head. "We were preoccupied, [Name]."

"If you're still calling her Mel, then that means that in YOUR book she at least deserves some sort of 'kay bye' letter," you explain your reasoning.

Melina shifts her weight to one side and crosses her arms. "For once, I agree with your side hag."

Your head whips fast to face her. "I'm not a side hag! I'm the main hag and YOU'RE the side hag."

"I'M NOT EVEN A HAG!" Melina exclaims in horror. "I'm the daughter of the nation's prison warden. I have prestige unlike you... a daughter of a greedy commoner."

"What?" you pause your anger.

She smiles at the opening you provide her and shifts closer to you. "I know everything about you, [Name]. The prodigal genius of the Fire Nation whose mom sold her to whoever wanted tactical knowledge: the Fire Nation army, Republic City, the Earth Kingdom... Your mother was making enough to become a noble herself until the Avatar caught on to her exploits.

"Once the Avatar informed the Fire Lord, your mother was banished from the palace and from selling your services. And poor you... Poor you since you had to live chained to your bedroom where your mother secretly continued her pursuits for power."

She knew your entire story, recited it to your boyfriend in a patronizing tone, shattering any self-confidence you built during your adventures. 

"I had no idea," Iroh mumbles as he covers his mouth, "what had happened to you."

"She doesn't want you to know her true self," Melina hums with glee. "She's a commoner after your money."

You snap at her insinuation and throw your jellied pastry at her, decorating her robes in the red substance. She shrieks at the assault and backs up into Iroh, who tries to dodge her impending body but it's a fruitless attempt. 

At the sight of the two, you feel the need to run away from the truth. Now that they know, you don't want to know how that will impact your relationship nor do you want to find out. As you turn on your heel to leave, Iroh tries to reach out for you but Melina grabs hold of his hand tightly.

"Iroh, we aren't finished talking."

"I have to talk to her first," he bites out angrily at her. He gives her a glare but it wavers at the sight of her painful expression. His body eases for a bit, but then his worry for you overpowers any empathy he holds for Melina. 

Once he breaks free, he faces his father, who stands there awkwardly with a few snow cones in his hand. "Hey, kiddo... Hey... You did great with the festival and I wanted to congratulate you and [Name]... And uh... are you back with Melina?" General Azusa stumbles around at the sight of his son's presumed infidelity. 

Iroh shows no care to correct his father's assumptions but halts when he no longer sees your receding figure. "Damn it!"