『an eternal necklace

A/N: why don't we check in on Iroh and see what this boy is up to... when he should be working on the project :)

[___]

Despite the torrent of snow cascading from the sky, Iroh travels along with a warmth in his heart. No one accompanies him yet he feels no loneliness. He has set himself a goal for the day and intends on completing it. Just what might that goal be? 

Well, after discovering your seventeenth birthday is right around the corner, he concluded on purchasing a gift for you. He desires something far more meaningful than the clip he purchased a while back, but he didn't want to go overboard. The ostentatious qualities that come with his title have always frightened you. He must stick to a reasonable gift for maximum happiness on your end.

As he ponders on the perfect gift, he halts in front of an igloo with a wooden post in front of it. "Necklaces?" It sounds appealing enough for him to poke around and scan for an appropriate piece. Once inside, the warmth of a fireplace greets him. Not too far from the fire resides a large display of antique necklaces and two women. One turns to face him and he instantly recognizes her.

"K-Katara?!"

It takes her a moment to recognize the boy and smiles. "Aren't you Zuko's grandchild?"

He takes a hesitant step forward as his mind races with what to say. Although his trip was approved by his grandfather and now Sokka, Katara has always been more straight-laced with the rules. However, by the looks of her serene expression, she holds no intent in turning him in.

"Yes, it's nice to see you again," he bows slightly. He isn't sure how to properly greet such a legend, but he sticks to his small gesture. 

"Are you looking for a betrothal necklace for your fiance?" she asks knowingly.

The question may be innocent but it pulls him back to reality. He has yet to break his engagement off with Mel while he runs around dating you. It causes his heart to waver slightly with guilt and Katara notices his hesitation.

"That's true. Aang did mention you finally found someone interesting to be with," she states in a knowing tone. "Love is quite an overpowering emotion."

"... Yeah."

"Did you want to get that girl something?" Katara turns on her heel to face the clerk. "Why don't you show him the one you're repairing for me?"

The clerk provides no protest and bends down to acquire the necklace in question. He places the small tin box on the display's surface and motions Iroh closer. He takes two steps forward, placing himself beside Katara who continues to smile at him. 

As the clerk opens the box, a shining necklace enters his view. The black rope is wide and thin, holding up an oval-shaped blue stone with a water crest on it. It is chipped on the bottom, and when he spots that, Katara explains the cause of it.

"Bumi and his wild antics. When you have several children, you realize that many of your possessions might not make it out alive," she chuckles at the thought. "Aang has been asking for me to get it fixed and I finally took the chance."

"It should be completed later today," the clerk nods his head.

"Thank you," she hums. "It certainly is a precious gift left by my grandmother... and I believe it will be a perfect gift for your special person as well."

The idea of such a necklace with so much history and love behind it stirs in his conscious for only a few seconds before he decides on what to do. "I'll take everything you have," Iroh orders quickly.

Katara's eyes widen for a brief moment. "She only needs one."

"She deserves everything."

She wants to feel some endearment from his statement, but his emotions are far too overwhelming for her. "Yes, but in small doses, Iroh. You only need one to make her happy."

Iroh's grandeur deflates upon realizing his mistake. "Yeah, sorry. I got excited when I start to think about how happy she'd be... and then the thought of her passing it down to our children sounded so amazing."

"It will all come together in due time, Iroh." She pats his back a few times and smiles.