『a devastated sacred ground [2]

"W-Woah," is all you can say with an arrow mere inches from your face. Another one is aimed at the group and grazes Haku's goatee.

"M-My facial hair!"

Iroh doesn't waste a second in arming his hands with flames as he spots one of the barbarians from the secret meeting. It appears that the muscular giant had followed you out of the forest and was keen on keeping you all silent. He readies another arrow but isn't given the chance to attack.

A large boulder is hurled at him with speed and power; the barbarian is thrown to the floor but the clash reverberates across the area and into the ears of anyone within a fifty-mile radius. With the other group not too far off, you know that there was a strong chance that they heard.

"What was that you were saying about being patient with our attacks?" Iroh retorts with a smirk. 

"I panicked!" Haku attempts to defend himself. 

"Urgh..." The barbarian tries to stand from the attack, but before he can, you see a small white ball of fur beam itself at his face. The man stumbles back and falls, hitting his head once more on the boulder.

He's down for the count, and you all stare at the perpetrator: a small white rodent with beady black eyes and a permanent smile. Its fur is thick for the arctic, and it's fat cheeks are a means to store food. "Is that a hamster?" Haku asks doubtfully.

"Yeah, those are arctic hamsters..." You respond with certainty, having read the bestiary of the world when you were just four years old.

"Do they usually do that?" Iroh questions as you three gaze into its expectant eyes.

"... Uhh it never said in the book." 

Iroh glares at it but ultimately decides that there are more pressing matters to tend to. "Let's get out of here before those people return."

Following his lead, you begin to scan the area. Most of the landscape is just hills and rocky terrain shrouded in snow. As you formulate a plan, you hear their footsteps travel towards the forest. Your heart is racing, but you're desperate to get everyone out alive.

"Let's go more north," you finally decide.

"The tribe is south though," Iroh counters.

"If we go south, they'll find us and take us out before we make it," you explain. "There isn't any other civilization north-wise, and in these conditions, they know that reasonable people will want to return to a warm bed as quickly as possible."

Iroh glances up at the sky and thinks quickly upon your suggestion. "It's almost the afternoon, so we'll need to be quick."

"L-Let's run!" Haku wastes no time in heading north, and you two follow suit. The biting cold slaps you all in the face during your journey around the forest, but no one comments on it. Instead, you run with all your might in hopes of not getting caught.

[_____]

When you finally return to the inn, you're out of breath and ready to embrace sleep. It's near midnight, and the three of you are a shivering mess.

"[Name], we need to head out tomorrow," Iroh calls out before you head into your room. You glance to your side and see him approach you slowly. "Get some rest and we'll depart from here first thing in the morning."

"Okay..."

He notices your drained response and stops you from returning to your room by slipping a hand around your wrist. "You're not hurt, right?"

You watch as Haku closes the door to his room and leaves you two alone. When you gaze up and see his look of concern, you heave out a sigh. "I'm just tired from all that adrenaline. We went to an area we weren't supposed to go in and heard things we weren't supposed to hear... and we were spotted."

"You mean you were spotted."

"True, the both of you are always wearing hoods."

Iroh lets out a chuckle as he ruffles your hair. "We will get you one soon so you can blend in too."

"Thanks," you smile brightly. "Now, where to next?"

"This area was a bust, but I'm sure the earth kingdom will be a lot better."

"Ohhh but they have an air temple around here that I want to check out."

Iroh nods his head as he thinks, "Okay, sure. We can travel over to the temple before heading out for Ba Sing Se."

"Sounds like a plan!"

He notices that your excitement has returned, and he can't help but smile. "Yeah... Good night, [Name]." You nod, and he swiftly enters his room. Although your heart still beats for the boy, you do your best to swallow those emotions.

You extend your hand to reach for the door handle to your room but pause when you hear a rustle in your coat pocket. Although you're tired, you inspect your pocket to see the same beady eyes from this morning staring straight at you. 

"Kwup, kwup?"

"..." You continue staring at the hamster with little reaction. After a few moments, you let out another sigh. "I'm too tired for this. I need sleep."

Having none of life's unexpectedness, you enter your room to fall into a deep slumber.