『a tourist hot spot

It takes another week to arrive at Ba Sing Se, and when you do, you feel more at ease with your weapon. However, the city does not allow the appearance of any weapons, causing you to force your bow into its compact form and store it in your bag. At least you guys find no resistance in entering the city, passing the security guards with relative ease.

All four pair of eyes land on the vast expanse of Ba Sing Se. Tonraq is just in awe of the city: the grand stone walls, the budding train system, the clear separation of spirits and humans. It's all new to him, and he soaks it in quietly. Iroh doesn't appear to be all too interested, but he gazes onwards to inspect. Haku, however, looks as if he might wet himself and pulls his hood more to cover his face.

You remember your hood and pull it over your head. You've still been trying to get used to the idea of keeping hidden, especially since you never had a reason to do so before the fiasco. No one from your household would be looking for you; your mother wouldn't dare admit to anyone that you had escaped, your aunt hates you and probably is relishing in your absence, and your ugly parrot-monkey is most definitely singing with glee. No one would place missing posters around town or involve the police.

So yeah, you never really found a reason to hide your face. However, you now had the attention of an evil group. In hopes of a more carefree journey, you find it best to keep your face hidden.

"Where do you want to go first?" Iroh asks.

You give it a few seconds of thought before speaking. "The palace--"

"The palace closes at six. By the time we get there, we will only have a few minutes to look around,"Haku interjects.

You close your mouth with a pout. Since you can't exactly argue with reason, you decide to go to the next best thing. "The library!"

"Of course," Iroh chuckles.

"I wasn't able to memorize the entire library collection at the Northern Water Tribe, but I want to at least attempt here," you explain as excitement dances in your eyes.

"Won't that take a long time?" Tonraq questions you, doubt laced in his tone.

"I read quite fast."

"But it's a lot of books," Haku adds.

"We aren't in a hurry..."

There's a long pause as everyone stares at you. It isn't until Iroh devises a plan that he interrupts the silence. "Why don't we go out and do what we want, then meet up at the library she's in at 8 pm?"

"Shouldn't we meet up at the inn?" Tonraq expresses his confusion once more.

Haku and Iroh exchange glances, while you had already left to find the library. This time Haku decides to answer. "Well, she has a habit of forgetting about the time while reading."

"Ah... I see. Then I'll be sure to return to the library after I do some tourist things."

"First time here?" Iroh smirks.

Tonraq scratches the back of his head. "I've never really found the time to head to this part... Or really anywhere."

"Don't worry. Haku here grew up in these parts and can show you the best tourist destinations." The boy pushes Haku forward, who appears to still be shaking.

[______]

A sigh escapes you as you close the last book of the night. You glance at your finished pile of textbooks, and another sigh leaves your lips. Although reading has always been your most favorite activity, the cleanup afterwards was not.

You rise up from your chair and begin to properly place the books in their respective places. One by one, you sluggishly slide them into the correct spot with little notice of the world around you. You hadn't realized how your hood had fallen, revealing your face. You didn't notice that you subconsciously let your hair down and placed the clip back in your pocket. You didn't notice the emptiness of the library. And above all, you didn't notice how the librarian is a boy around your age and had been gazing at you the entire time.

When you finish your clean up, you head over to the librarian desk to check out. Thankfully, their system is lax and allows anyone to enter and read without any form of identification. All you need is to check in with your name and then check out.

"Did you find everything all right?"

You blink a few times when you realize that there actually is a person occupying the library. You glance up from the log book to see a boy with a normal teenage build and olive skin. Emerald eyes, dark hair, and clean shaven (unlike another Earth Kingdom citizen you know).

"Um... Yeah. You guys have an interesting archive on the monarchy and farming," you respond.

The boy perks up upon hearing your answer. "O-Oh, yeah! My father is interested in those subjects and likes to collect those types of books."

"Woah, so all this is your dad's collection?" You gaze around with more appreciation for the place.

"Well, it's like three generations worth of collections. I'm hoping for my dad to retire from collecting so I can take up the mantle."

"That's so interesting!"

The boy blushes at your enthusiasm, and you don't realize how he's melting under your gaze. No, your attention continues to wander around the quaint library until you hear the boy speak up again.

"Um, you can take some books if you'd like. You'd just have to return them tomorrow..."

You nod your head excitedly. "I'll definitely take you up on that offer! I would love some light reading before bed."

You quickly run around the library to collect a few books you weren't able to read before and return to him with a skip to your step. He logs all the books to be rented, not noticing that a group of three had arrived to pick you up.

"So.. I was wondering..." the boy starts hesitantly.

You wave at your friends over with a large smile, and they approach you; you're also doing your best to pay attention to the boy as you begin handing the group all the books you'll be taking to the inn.

"Ummm..."

"Hm?"

The boy finally logs the last book and pushes it towards you. His eyes gaze up at you with determination, forcing you to give him your full attention. "UM!... Would you like to have some dinner with me tomorrow?!"

You hear all the books drop onto the floor, and it is then the boy realizes that he has an audience. He faces three others who are slack-jawed and flushes at the sight.

Meanwhile, there's a vacant expression on your face as explosions fire inside your mind. 'A...DATE?!'

==========

A/N: Are you guys enjoying it so far? ;o; I've noticed a serious decline in comments, and I'm here thinking that maybe the quality went down or something??? Or you guys hella busy? Anyways, over 20 chapters in and no development between Iroh and Reader... it's time to change that C:<