『and down the mountain

Meditation finishes without another word spoken, and your team regroups for a tour around the temple. Tonraq and Iroh appeared to have bonded over the love for their native countries during their time alone. They are friendlier towards each other and much less reserved.

You find it endearing to see the group coming together, but there seems to be something amiss between the three males and yourself. Iroh has been sending you nervous side glances, while the other two give him quiet words of encouragement. It's as if they were hiding something from you. However, the most pressing matter was Iroh's lack of comfort around you.

With the sun setting, your group decides to embark once more down the mountain using the same air service. The operator of the hot air balloon is the same as before, a young man who is enthusiastic about his big balloon. When he spots your tired faces, his exuberant smile greets you as he opens the door to the transporting device.

"I've got room for two more!"

You spot another couple inside, who take up the other two spaces. Although you'd like to return as a group, Tonraq speaks up to counter your wishes. "I'll go down first and get some wood for the fire," he states.

"I'll get the area prepared for camp!" Haku quickly adds.

You send them an inquisitive look, then glance back at Iroh for his opinion. He's shaking his head in disbelief but doesn't say a word. "O-Okay," you respond in a confused manner. "Have a safe trip."

The door closes, and they're taken down the mountain. It's a five minute trip due to how slow the balloon descends, giving you ample time to speak with Iroh. When you look at him, you notice how he's avoiding your stare.

"Iroh?"

"Yes?"

You shift over and force him to look at you. There's a foreign expression on his face, and you frown at the sight. "Are you okay? You seem off."

"H-How so?"

You shrug. "You always have this annoyingly confident bravado to you."

It takes him a few moments to allow your words to sink in, and once they do, he bursts out into laughter. His boyish charm returns as he sends you a grin that causes your heart to stir. "True, true."

"Um--"

"Fine." He acquiesces and reaches into his pocket to pull out a hair clip. When he places it in your waiting hands, you begin to marvel at the metal clasp's detailed embroidery.

"This is beautiful, Iroh. Where'd you get it?"

"They were selling it along with other trinkets to support the temple. I thought it'd help with your hair since your other one broke."

"That's really nice of you... You really didn't have to get me something."

"I think it suits you, [Name]."

You feel your cheeks straining to contain your smile as you pick up your hair with the clip. "It's so well made! Hey, how do I look?" You pose in an awkward fashion in hopes of hearing more of his laughter, but it doesn't come. Instead, you're faced with his serious expression.

"Beautiful."

Your face heats up, and you swear your heart is about to burst with it beating a mile a minute. "O-Oh, thanks."

'I have a fiancee... She isn't bad.'

Your moment of elation is gone by the memory of what he had said back at the water tribe. You were delusional to even think that he had a crush on you, that you even had a chance with him.

"[Name]...?"

He spots your crushed expression and tries to inquire, but you raise your hand to stop him. "Iroh!" You take a moment to collect yourself before you continue. "Iroh, you need to stop. You have a fiancee."

"Huh? What does Mel have to do with this?"

Your heart, barely taped and trying to hold itself together, collapses at the sound of the girl's name. There's a sense of familiarity in the way he says it as if she's conquered his soul and heart. A pained expression flashes across your face at the realization that you were once again the idiot in this one-sided love.

Tears spring up and fall down your cheeks. You clutch your shirt as the pain of heartbreak returns. "And you still don't get it," you whisper out.

The hot air balloon returns, and you quickly escape to it. Iroh tries to follow, but you close the door shut. The operator is staring at the two of you, confusion written all over his face.

"Um, ma'am... It seats four people."

"JUST GO!"

"O-OKAY!"

He quickly starts the balloon as Iroh watches on with confusion. Finally, it hits him that you left him behind, and he gawks at the scene of you descending. "... [NAME]! I CAN FIT IN THERE WITH YOU! HEY! WAIT!" Iroh calls out exasperated while witnessing you ignore his pleads. "Come oooooooooooooooooon!!!!"