『alone in thought

Seated deep in a corner of the library, you relish in a book as old as your great-grandfather titled 'Secrets of the Mind'. As given by the title, it's an in depth analysis backed by research on how the human psyche worked--all written by a brilliant Northern Water Tribe scientist. The level of detail pertaining to their experiments and results expanded your scope on the human mind.

Your eyes and brain devour each word, not a crumb of information going unnoticed. No one dares to bother you; probably because they didn't even know that you were here. People had just assumed that the 'restricted' sign would be respected, so they never bothered to check the area.

Except for maybe one person.

"What on earth are you doing here?" a deep, stern voice bellows down the aisle of the library and into your ears. The tone of an impending reprimand has you shifting your gaze up and away from the book. A man well into his late 20's stands there with a purpose and eyes zeroed in on you.

"Are you speaking to me?" you call out. When you spot his attire, there's a quick intake of breath before you speak again. "YOU'RE---"

"SHH!" he shushes. "This is a library."

"M-My apologies." You crinkle a corner of the book's page and close it shut before heading over to Aang's mini-me. "Is there something the matter?"

"This is the forbidden area of the great Northern Library. You have absolutely no business being here."

"Then what are you doing here?"

There's a stare off between you two, and he can't help but grumble. "I have my reasons."

"I have mine."

"..." It's clear that any more chastising would paint him a hypocrite, causing the airbender to relent. "Fine but you mustn't cause trouble around here."

"I wasn't though..."

[_____]

A sigh of satisfaction passes your lips as you close your finished book. You glance up at the clock and realize that it's far past the time to meet up. Turning your gaze to your reading companion, you see him still deep into thought and research. The many books and scrolls beside him relate to the spirit realm and its properties, heavy material for an average reader but he is wholly invested.

"Airbender research?"

He gives you a stare, wondering whether he should divulge any information.

"I could tell your father where you are..."

"YOU WILL DO NO SUCH--"

"Shhh," you hush him, smirking at how the tables have turned.

Flustered, the man settles down with a blush on his cheeks. "It's merely research to combat the turmoils here."

"Do the spirits have something to do with that?" you inquire some more.

"You do not know of this land's perils?" he asks to which you shake your head. "No wonder you entered this place on your own accord."

Ignoring his rude comment, you try to gather any context clues. "I was so preoccupied with our journey... I didn't think that this city would be in conflict with the spirits. It's practically unheard of for a water tribe to be in such bad standing with them."

"The crowned prince soiled their sacred ground." He closes his book with a long sigh and takes a less guarded approach. "His sentence was banishment from the Northern Water Tribe."

"That's harsh..."

"Yes, such are the grave responsibilities of royalty. The burdens of their people, their culture, their lineage-- it isn't easy for them."

"Yeah, the guy I'm traveling with is some sort of noble. I can tell from the snacks he brought along... Anyways, he's in an arranged marriage when he's only around my age."

"Not uncommon of nobles either. Their obligation to their family is absolute."

"Yeah..."

There's an odd air between you two. Having just met a few hours ago, your conversation tethers between personal and too personal. The silence only proves your unwillingness to tread further, causing you both to return to your books.

When the lights begin to flicker and turn off, you're attention breaks away from the book and at the airbender.

"Is it already closing time?"

"I must get going then." He grabs his and your books and begins placing them into their respective spots; you decide to follow and help.

"Thanks for the company, Tentacles. I appreciated the commentary."

"... What did you call me?"

"HEY! YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE HERE!" someone yells from the distance.

The both of you freeze, and your first instinct is to glance at the man for help. However, there appears to be a lot going on in his mind to even think of a plan out of here.

"RUN!" you shout at him, grabbing hold of his hand and dragging him towards the window to escape.

Thankfully, the person is but a mere slave to the books and does not have the stamina to chase you. Once you are in the clear and occupying a deserted alleyway, you let out a long exhale.

"Close one!"

"We were perfectly fine if I had stated my name."

"We would have been cooked for dinner if you had stated your name," you retort. "Anyways I have to get going. See ya around!" He tries to say something, but you disappear into the night.

As you make way towards the inn your group is staying at, you notice how your heart is a little less heavy than before.