⁴⁰, cracked flame

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐬

chapter forty,

cracked flame

"She'll be punished

"She'll be punished."

Calista Ella Garfield. 

MY STEPS ARE FAST, wanting to get off the terrain as fast as possible. I keep a close eye on the people and sounds around me. When they find out I am leaving school ground, I am done. I walk through the fence, a trick I picked up when Lenora and I trained this summer. My mom thought it would be important if we do not constantly have to depend on each other. She said that we have to learn how to control it separately. Control is not one of my strongest points, especially not after the accident with Greyback. All those different movements and sounds continue to catch me off guard every single time and I hate it. 

"What do we have here?" I  look up at the woman in front of me, I heard her coming, but did I stop? No, because I am intrigued by her. She could've killed me multiple times now and she didn't. She even saved me a few times. "You." I only say "Calista Garfield, we meet yet again." "Why me?" I say as I step closer to the woman with the black curled hair. "Your mother and I were very close when we went to Hogwarts, she got me out of some annoying situations-" "What changed? I never heard from you. Don't you think that my mom would've mentioned you when you were so important to her?" She steps closer as well and her cold hand runs over my cheek. "You have no idea how much you are like her." I am frozen in my place, not being able to speak or move. "There was this attack in the seventh year, my friends were all involved and I knew about it. But something went wrong and she almost died, when she asked me I lied to her face. However, the weeks passed by and I noticed how all hope disappeared in her eyes, so I told her the truth and it broke her... A few hours later she and Charles left Hogwarts-" I don't know what to say, this is more than I can handle. "I failed in protecting my friend so it won't happen that her daughter dies on my watch." I wander away from the woman not knowing what to do. "I- I need to go," I mutter before turning around and quickly walking to the Hog's head.

When I open the door of the bar all heads turn to me. They know Hogwarts students aren't supposed to be here right now and yet, here I am, looking pretty and wearing nice clothes. 

"Cali-" The boy hugs me tight and even though it has only been a few weeks, I missed him so much. "Freddie-" I say as I back away to look at him. He looks exhausted and I know he can see how bad I look as well. "We should go, we don't want to stay here for too long. You never know who's watching." He holds out his arm. "Hold on tightly-" We walk outside and my feet only just hit the ground when we apparate to a different location. I gasp loudly as we land, falling on my knees. Only days ago Alecto Carrow painfully bruised my ribs causing shortness of breath. 

"Woah Fred you are back early-... Calista is everything okay?" His brother kneels in front of me helping me on a chair. "You need to be quiet because we are busy with an episode, but we can talk after okay?" Fred brushes a lock of my hair away before walking into a recording room where Lupin and Lee are sitting at a table. "Rapier is back after a long bathroom break, now we continue with-"