³⁴, euthanasia

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐬

chapter thirty-four,
euthanasia

"They both promised they wouldn't leave me

"They both promised they wouldn't leave me."

Calista Ella Garfield.

VEINS SHOULDN'T BE PURPLE, why are my veins purple? I stare in the mirror to the girl with a blueish chest. Next to me lays the letter I got earlier, but I haven't opened it yet. I feel faint only by looking at it. Seeing myself like this makes me feel nauseous. I am so weak. The bathroom door opens and Lenora walks in. "Woah, what's that?" "Just open the toilet-" I mumble while holding my stomach. "What- why-" But I fall on my knees and throw up on the floor. "Lizzie!" Lenora kneels to hold my hair as I throw everything out. I cough a bit before leaning on my hands, gasping for air. Her eyes go to the letter. "You still didn't open it?" "It scares me, what if he doesn't want anything to do with me?" She brushes some hair behind my ear. "You have to read it, Lizzie. You are quite literally worrying sick. All this, it comes from stress." "What are you saying?" "That I don't care if you are not going to talk about-" She waves her hand over me, "-all this with Finlay, but it can't continue any longer. You are going to read that letter now, or else I won't help you clean up." She says giving me her famous "mom" look. "You are evil," I whisper as I lean against the toilet. She chuckles and gives me the letter. "Read."

My fingers move over the parchment as my best friend leaves the bathroom. There is only a little note in the envelope. I glance at the letters for a while. "We will be ready, princess. Everything will be okay... Oh and Cali, I love you too." I speak automatically not able to believe what's happening right now. The red-haired boy doesn't know but his words make me feel alive again.

The rest of the day I walk around the school with a smile around my lips and for the first time in months, it's a genuine smile. When seeing the blonde-haired boy completely stressed out I don't even care anymore. "You need to stop smiling, this is not funny! Calista!" He says annoyed making the few that are in the same corridor look up to us, including my best friend. "Sorry, I just- Today is a good day-" "It's not!" The boy snarls at me, something that pulls me back into reality. "Draco...-" He wants to walk away but I grab his wrist and pull him back, his arms immediately closing around my waist, his head on my shoulder. "We will be okay, Draco. We both will-" I mutter in his ear, suddenly all the happiness left my body yet again.

"I saw them leave half an hour ago. You need to get to the Room of Requirement and-" "You're not coming with me?" "No, Draco, I can't. I am not on your side. You know that. You're on your own from now on." I say feeling really guilty as I step away from him. "But-" "You need to go-" I say before turning away and leaving him alone.

Chaos. There is chaos in every corridor and I am simply running around trying to save everyone, while all this is partly my fault. The younger students are locked up in the common rooms, just like most of the older students as well, but somehow all of my friends are fighting the death eaters right now and that's the one thing I wanted to prevent. I duck as someone fires a spell in my direction. "You need to look out more if you don't want to die, little Calista." The voice sounds awfully familiar and when I turn around I already know I am screwed.