⁴², waves in return

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐬

chapter forty-two,
waves in return

chapter forty-two,waves in return

"You can't promise that."

Calista Ella Garfield. 

MY SCREAM MOVES OVER THE CORRIDOR OF THE SEVENTH FLOOR, and I know they can hear me in the Room of Requirement. It feels like my bones are on fire and there is nothing I can do about it. The spell stops, leaving me on the ground gasping for air. "I will come back in 5 minutes and if you are not gone by then, your punishment will be worse!" The woman says with a small grin, but I couldn't care less. As Carrow disappears I get up and focus on the entrance of the Room of Requirement, a door appears and I quickly drag myself inside. The door closes and soon I feel how Lenora cups my face staring deep into my eyes. "You shouldn't have sacrificed yourself, you are already taking so much." She says before pulling me in a hug. My arms close around her waist as I hug her back, on the edge of breaking down. "It was either you or me and I- you- nevermind." 

"We should get started-" Neville bluntly interrupts our moment. "Yea, yea, let's go," I mumble as I get up and start walking to the group. 

At the end of the training, I am staring at the mirror. I don't recognise the girl in front of me, so fragile, so broken. I start counting my fingers trying to remember if I am dreaming or that this girl is really happening, 8, 9, 10... And again, I continue counting in my head as I glance at myself. I have almost black eyebags, my lips are burst, bruises on my cheek and tears pooling in my eyes. "Lizzie?" Her voice moves through the air sending me over the line causing the tears to fall down. "Do you know why I take the punishment so much?" I start, looking at my best friend. She doesn't respond and I can see the pain on her face as well. "-because the pain I feel when they torture me, isn't half as much as the pain I am living with every single day...-" A sob leaves my mouth as staring at the girl breaking down. "His dad died trying to save me and not even a year later he died trying to save me too. It feels like my heart is getting ripped out of my chest when I think about it. I see him, Nora... He is everywhere, in every corner, hallway, classroom. When no one is speaking I hear his voice, I can feel him touching my cheek, my waist as he hugs me, with his breath on my skin...- I am losing reality, I don't know what's real and what's a dream anymore." I turn away from the mirror meeting the eyes of my best friend. "I don't know what to do, I just need the pain to be gone-" 

"Lizzie...-" "I know, I am crazy. I know he's dead, gone, rotting away in his grave while he should be with me, us." His figure appears next to my best friend, his black hair perfect, his grey eyes staring deeply in mine. "It's not real... Lenora, let it stop-" I cry stepping closer to her, grabbing her hands. 

~

"Cali, wait up!" I stop walking in the middle of the hall, the girls continue walking not realising I stopped. "Just stop this, Draco, I don't even know what to say to make you go away." The Carrows who are luring waiting for something to happen, now both look at us. "Are you okay?" "No, I am not, but it is fine, I will survive, just like I always do." I brush my hand through my hair while glancing at the boy. "I am sorry, last year, after everything you did for me. I didn't even try to stop Greyback when he attacked you. Snape pulled me with him and I fought him, but not hard enough, I should've saved you-" "Us, you should've saved us." My friends gasp behind me, thinking I talk about him. "What do you mean? Calista, you are startling me." "Did you know I was pregnant? Greyback's claws cut through my body killing the growing human being inside of me only minutes after my best friend jumped in front of me when my granddad tried to kill me. He didn't just take away something so pure, he also took away my simplicity- I can never go back to the Calista you knew, not anymore."