Off

Lovelies this story is nearing its end and I'm sad about it! :/ aren't you?!

—————————-

Two months have came and gone since Reid and I moved into our own place but four months since we got back together. Though I was scared to forgive him and give him a second chance after he left me I can't imagine living without him now. Hell I don't even know how I lived without him the whole year he was gone.

I placed the cap back on the stick and sat it on the bathroom counter and washed my hands while I waited for the results, nerves clawing at my insides. I knew it would say negative. I'd been feeling off for a few weeks and my period was late but that didn't mean anything. My periods have always been irregular. I tried chalking it up to stress from the move or about starting school again but decided to take the damn test anyways.

I stared at the pee stick and felt my eyes widen at the one word that changed everything, positive. No way. I felt a rush of emotions coarse through me. Suddenly everything made sense, the nausea, the fatigue, the food aversions all which I did my best to ignore. I slipped the test into a bathroom drawer burying it under stuff to keep it hidden.

These tests aren't always the most accurate sometimes they give false positives. I grabbed my keys and my purse before shooting Reid a text letting him know I was going to run errands. Thankfully he was at his new shop working before our big surprise date night he had planned out for tonight.

I drove across town to the clinic and parked my car. Once I was inside I filled out a packet of medical information and waited for my name to be called.

"Mackenzie Shaw?" With shaky legs I rose to my feet and followed the nurse through the thick wooden door. She recorded my vitals on the clipboard in her hands and then led me to an examination room.

"I am going to need a urine sample and a blood sample just to double check. Here's the cup for your urine. There's a bathroom right through that door right there. When you're done I'll take your blood and then we will go from there." I sat my purse down and took the plastic little cup to the bathroom. I quickly filled the cup and washed my hands.

Thoughts took over my mind. What is Reid going to say? Is he going to be mad? Happy? The last time I told him I was pregnant I lost our baby and him. It crushed me. It ruined me. Will that happen again? Will he leave? God I hope not. I wouldn't survive it a second time. I couldn't.

The nurse tied a rubber band around my upper arm and started flicking the tightened skin searching for a vein. Meanwhile I'm trying hard to look anywhere but at her moving hands.

"You nervous?" She offered me a small smile once the needle sunk into my skin.

"Is it that obvious?" I turned my head away from the needle sticking into my arm.

"Just a little bit it's completely normal! Is the father in the picture?" She pulled the rubber band off of my arm snapping the lids on the vials of blood.

"We are together but he doesn't know about the baby yet."

"I'm sure he will be thrilled! First time parents are kind of spooked at first but you learn along the way. I'm sure he will be over the moon. I am going to run these to the lab. The results will be back soon. If you need anything just holler." I nodded mumbling a thank you as she slipped out of the room.

The minutes felt like hours until she came in followed by a doctor who looked to be in her earlier forties. Her hair jet black pulled into an elegant bun. Her eyes were the color of milk chocolate. She had a warmness about her that helped calm me down.

"Hi Mackenzie I'm Dr. Blair. How are you feeling?" She smiled brightly at me while she sat on a rolling stool closing the distance between us.

"I'm good, nervous." I admit honestly. She sat her hand on my knee and squeezed it gently.

"Completely understandable! Your results came back. You are pregnant, about eight weeks or so based off of your hormone levels." Confirmation floods through me. I felt my breath quicken.

"Are you okay?" Dr. Blair grabbed my hands squeezing my hands trying to comfort me.

"I-I. I don't know." I mutter between ragged breaths.

"So this isn't a planned pregnancy but that's okay! Women do it everyday! I know it can be scary but I promise you it will be worth it."

"Would you like me to do a sonogram?"

"Isn't it too early?" I asked quizzically. I don't know much about pregnancy except what we learned in Health class years ago.

"Nope! Technology is so advanced now we can do sonograms as early as eight weeks sometimes even earlier. We may not be able to see much since it's so early but by now we usually start seeing little growing beans and possibly hearing heartbeats! We won't know until we take a look! What do you say?" I couldn't answer so I just nodded.

"Only downfall is it's a vaginal ultrasound so you'll need to undress from the waist down. Here's a paper cover to cover yourself up with. We will give you a few moments to undress." They slipped out of the room and I stripped my shorts and underwear off. I sat on the bed and covered myself with the paper blanket.

Dr. Blair and the nurse came back into the room. The nurse wheeled an ultrasound machine over to one side of the bed. Dr. Blair sat back on the stool. She grabbed a wand instrument and squirted some lubricant on the end. She pushed a few buttons on the sonogram machine and the screen came to life.

"This will feel a little abnormal but it doesn't hurt, it's more pressure than anything else. Just lay back and relax." I did as she instructed and lifted my legs into the stirrups. She inserted the wand and I stiffened. She was right it didn't hurt but definitely not comfortable. I wished Reid was with me holding my hand and that brought me back to whether or not he'd be happy about our baby or not. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a nervous wreck to tell him.

"Babies at this stage can be tricky to find it just takes a little looking. Agh right there! This is your baby. You're measuring right at eight weeks." She pointed to a little bean looking blob on the screen and all worries I felt melted away like water down the drain.

"Hear that?" She asked beaming at me. The fast paced sound sounding like horses galloping filled the room. I nodded.

"That's your babies heartbeat, it's strong beating at 167 beats a minute! Everything looks great so far. You'll need to get prénatal vitamins. I will send you home with a months worth and if you want I can write you prescription for more." Tears filled my eyes as a weird happiness bubbled in my stomach knowing I was pregnant with Reid's baby. Our baby. Half him and half me, made from nothing but love.

"Thank you!" I couldn't wipe the smile from my face. She printed three sonogram pictures and handed them to me. I stared at them in awe as more tears filled my eyes.

"You're welcome. We will leave you to get dressed. I'll need to see you back here next month you can schedule your next appointment on your way out. Congratulations on your little bundle of joy!"