Awake

White. Bright white lights. That's the only thing I could see the second I opened my eyes. My eyes finally adjusted before zapping around the room. I was connected to machines, the high pitched beeping sounding right next to my ear was enough to drive anyone mad.

"You're awake! Oh Mack I was worried sick!" My mom clung onto my hand squeezing it for dear life but I didn't mind. She looked exhausted with dark circles underneath her eyes, her hair in a messy bun, and in mix matching sweats.

"Mom what happened? I remember being in the car and then nothing." My voice was shaking.

"You were on your way home from the doctors office when you and Reid were in a terrible car accident." Tears pooled in her eyes. I felt my heart rate accelerate inside my chest. The monitor beside my bed was going crazy reading my heart rate. I needed to see Reid. I needed to know if he was okay. I had to see for myself.

"A drunk driver slammed into your side of the car. Your body took most of the impact. Of course the drunk driver walked away without a damn bruise."

"Where is he mom? Where is Reid?" I pushed myself into a sitting up position. I cried out in pain when it felt like my stomach was being ripped open.

"Don't try to sit up you are going to rip your stitches. You just had major surgery."

"Mom where is Reid? Is he okay?" My mom frowned before nodding and for the first time since I woke up I felt relief.

"He broke his arm and has some bruises but overall he is fine."

"Can I see him?" I asked not caring how needy I sounded. I had to talk to him. I needed to talk to him. 

"We need to talk Mackenzie." I went still the second my name fell from my mother's lips. She never calls me by my full name. Whatever she is about to say is not good.

"You were pregnant. I didn't even know you were sleeping with someone." Were. As in past tense. I felt a rush of emotions coarse through my veins.

"When you were hit Reid's car flipped. Gosh Mackenzie I saw the cars it's a miracle you are alive! The doctors had to go in and stop some internal bleeding. Sweetheart I- I, I am so sorry but the baby....it didn't make it." My mom clutched my hand hoping to comfort me but all I needed was to see Reid.

"Mom where is Reid?" I asked in a monotone voice.

"He left."

"Left? What do you mean he left?"

"After you came out of surgery he packed all of his stuff and left. What is going on between you two? Did you have a fight?" My mom smiled softly at me choosing her words carefully.

"Oh my God! He's the father isn't he?" My eyes roamed everywhere around the room avoiding her burning questioning eyes. I couldn't look at her. I couldn't admit it. My heart sank inside my chest. He left me. He didn't even explain or talk to me. He just left, without a word.

"Is that true Mack?" Robert rested his elbows on his knees from where he was sitting on the couch across the room. He looked just as exhausted as my mom did.

"Yeah." I mumbled and I started sobbing silently.

"Why didn't you tell us?"

"Tell you what? That I was sleeping with and dating Reid? It was still so new. We were trying to figure things out but he's gone now so what's the point?" I snapped and instantly regretted it. I was overwhelmed with so many emotions I couldn't pick one so my body chose them all.

"Did you think we would be mad?"

"Mom I don't know what I thought. Okay? I was a wrapped up in the moment."

"You should have talked to me! I am your mother. I would have understood! Sure it's not ideal you shacking up with your soon to be step brother but that doesn't mean keep it from me! From us. God Mackenzie! And then you almost die! And miscarry. Oh my poor baby! I am so sorry for yelling at you." My mom sat on the bed crying. I looked at Robert for help. I couldn't comfort her, not right now.

"Sweetheart let's give her some time alone. We will go down to the cafeteria and grab some lunch." I nodded and sighed in relief when Robert helped my mom off the bed and out of my hospital room. I found my phone on the bedside table beside the beeping monitors.

I picked it up and ignored the cracks on the screen. I quickly found his name and pressed call holding the phone to my ear. It went straight to voicemail three times before I gave up. I sent a few text messages and received no response.

The sound of my hospital door opened and closed before light footsteps inched closer to my direction.

Part of me was hopeful that Reid had came back, came to see me but the other half knew better. He wouldn't pack all of his stuff and then come back like that.

I looked to my side, my eyes landed on Hudson. He didn't say a word he just kicked off his shoes and crawled into bed with me wrapping his arms around me. He pulled me against him. I wanted to push him away but the second his arms wrapped around me I broke down. I cried for everything I had lost. My boyfriend. My baby. My whole life was shattered right before my very eyes and now I was left with nothing but broken pieces.