Wedding

"Mom stop crying! You are going to ruin your makeup!" I frowned using my hand as a fan to help dry my moms tears. She sat up straight in a chair while a lady did her hair and makeup. She has been a wreck all morning.

"I am just so happy I get to marry my soulmate today!" She cried with a bright smile on her face as more tears pooled in her beautiful blue eyes. My mom and Robert took a year and a half to plan the wedding. Why they waited so long is beyond me but hey it's not my wedding not my say. I helped my mom into her wedding gown. She shimmied into the tighter fitted dress that hugged her body in all the right places. She settled for a simple ivory colored satin dress. It was simple yet elegant at the same time. My mom stood in front of the mirror letting her eyes roam up and down her reflection in the mirror.

Even though her dress was simple and not over the top my mom managed to look like a runway bride just the same.

"Wow Mom! You look beautiful!" I gushed feeling tears pool in my own eyes. I threw my arms around her hugging her tight while we both cried.

"Mom I just want you to know how happy I am for you and Robert. Watching you find your soulmate and fall in love has been the most beautiful thing to witness. Let's get you out there so you can get married!" I used the back of my knuckles to wipe a stray tear that had slid down her cheek.

"Thank you Mack! Your blessing means the world to me. I know this last year has been hell for you but I am so proud of how far you have came. You are so much stronger now than you have ever been. I have some bad news....he's here." I feel my heart tighten inside of my chest. I knew him being here was a given...his dad is getting married. Of course he would be here.

"Mom I can handle this. I promise. Don't worry about me. Today is all about you." I smile warmly trying to reassure her. I can handle this. I can handle seeing him...for her.

"I am so sorry." I hooked my arm through my moms as the music gave off the cue it was time for her to walk down the aisle.

"Don't be mom. It's okay." I tighten my arm around hers as the big white wooden doors were opened. Everyone inside the church rose to their feet as me and mom started to walk down the aisle.

Robert stood at the front of the alter with tear stained cheeks. A bright smile illuminating his face. The love in his eyes was he watched my mom take small steps towards him closing the distance between them. Lennox, Hudson, and Reid all stood beside him. My eyes connected with his against my will...like magnets fighting to connect. No mater how hard I tried to pull them away from his I couldn't. Seeing him for the first time in a year took my breath away. He stood there in a dark grey tux that looked like it was made just for him. His dark brown hair a beautiful mess...the same way I remember. His dark green eyes dancing with golden flakes in them...the same eyes that poured into mine so many times trailed up my body.

Seeing him brought back so many emotions, so many emotions I wasn't ready to deal with. I am not sure if I will ever be ready to face them but today I have to. I reluctantly pulled my eyes away from him focusing on Robert. He shot me an apologetic smile. He must have saw me staring at Reid. Great.

Once we made it to the front of the alter I handed my moms hand to Robert. During the wedding ceremony I zoned out. I could hear everything the Priest was saying but mentally I was somewhere else....thinking about someone else. I hated that my mind still thought of him. A year has gone by, day in and day out I shove all thoughts of him out of my head but today being this close to him...seeing him opened up a gate and all thoughts of him came flooding back at warp speed.

After the ceremony we all made our way out to the reception area. Once the ceremony ended I practically bolted out the doors like my ass was on fire. I inhaled sharp pants of air. I couldn't breathe and needed to get outside and quick.

"Sweetheart are you okay? You look like you just saw a ghost." Seth grabbed my arm worry laced in his voice.

"Sweetheart?" A voice sounded from behind us. A voice I could recognize anywhere. A voice that still made my knees buckle.

"I am fine." I nodded absentmindedly leaning closer to Seth. Reid carefully watched the interaction with cautious eyes.

"Are you sure? Maybe you should sit down." I shook my head slowly. If I were to move right now my legs would give out and I'd collapse and that is the last thing I need.

"Seth I am okay. I promise. I could use some water."

"I'll be right back sweetheart." Seth squeezed my hand gently before bolting towards the refreshment table.

"Who is that?" Reid's jaw ticked with an undeniable anger. Who does he think he is?

"My date." Reid's eyes bugged almost all the way out of his skull. My words took him by surprise. Good. I know it was wrong to lie but his reaction made it very well worth it.

"Your date? That guy is your date?" He scoffed shaking his head in disbelief. I wasn't sure if he believed my lie or not and frankly I really don't give a shit.

"Yes." I nodded looking anywhere else but at him. I was scared if I looked at him I'd admit that it was a lie and I didn't want that. I wanted him to know I was okay without him. Seth rushed back to where I was standing and handed me a plastic cup filled with ice water.

"I didn't realize you would bring a date." Reid frowned pulling the corner of his lip into his mouth. Seth's ears perked up at the word date. I don't miss the confusion in his eyes but thankfully he didn't object.

"Why wouldn't I?" I shot back. I felt anger burning in my veins. Seth looked back and forth between Reid and I trying to gauge the situation trying to figure out what is really going on.

"This is him, isn't it?" Seth, not as stupid as I thought somehow put two and two together. I don't answer him because I don't have to. Realization filled his eyes zoning in on Reid.

"That explains why he looks like he wants to murder me." Seth blurted. The glare Reid is shooting him is terrifying, lethal even.

"As fun as this has been I have to go help make sure everything is in place." I turned on my heel ready to walk away.

"Kenzie wait!" I hear Reid call after me but I ignore him.

"Look man I don't want any problems here okay?" Seth, always the pacifist tried to make nice with Reid. Though I couldn't see them with my back turned I couldn't help but roll my eyes just picturing his face.

"I am not shaking your fucking hand." Reid snapped. I hurried away needing distance between me and Reid.

"Kenzie!" I heard him call my name again. I paid no attention to him I just did my job as maid of honor. I went around the serving tables and made sure all the food warmers were on and working. I made sure the cake stand was sturdy. I marched my way into the kitchen and checked on the servers. I made sure the champagne was chilled and ready for the toasts. Whatever needed to be done and checked on...I did it. Anything to keep me away from Reid as long as possible. I know I can't avoid him all night, there is only so much space here but I will be damned if I don't try.