Secret Hiding Place

Out of everything I could have heard Robert say the last thing I expected was for him to say that he and my mom are getting married. I know I reacted in a childish way but I was overwhelmed and caught of guard. How can my mom agree to marry this guy and not even talk to me about it? Not that my opinion can change anything but it's not just her life changing. Mine is too. She is happy and in love while I am just being dragged along. 

I walked around the outside of the house until I see a pond off in the distance at the back of the property. It's hard to see but the sun hitting the water illuminates it beautifully. 

I don't care that I am barefoot in fact I love the feel of grass on my feet. I walked down the path way carved with stepping stones. Roberts back yard is landscaped professionally with trees and bushes and even a pool with a hot tub. I made a mental note to soak that bad boy up the first chance I get. 

Once I reached the pond I sat down on the grass crossing my legs. I grabbed some pebbles and started skipping them across the water.

"See you found my hiding place." 

"Go away." I am in no mood for him or his smart mouth right now. I am barely holding myself together here. I don't know why I expected him to listen to me which of course he didn't. Instead he sat a few feet away from me leaning his elbows on his knees. I heard him shuffling in his pocket before I heard the sound of a lighter flicking.

"Is that really necessary?" I coughed as a fume of smoke wafted across my face. 

"Yes." His voice alone sends chills down my spine. For a while the silence between us is that, just silence. I skip my pebbles and he smokes his cigarettes neither of us breaking the quietness that had settled in around us. 

"This is so fucked up." I blurt unable to tolerate the silence any longer. It was making me uneasy. 

"You can say that again." Reid sighs pushing his cigarette into the dirt beside him before throwing the bud into the small pile he created in the amount of time we had been out here. 

"Can I ask you something?" I mumble feeling my curiosity getting the best of me. My mom never mentioned Robert's former wife or what happened to her. Obviously she isn't around but why?

"Depends on what it is." His voice deep yet velvety at the same time. 

"What happened to your mom?" As soon as I ask the question I regret it but it's too late for that because I had already asked it anyways.

"You don't have to answer that I was just curious." I start to ramble on but he interrupts me.

"Died from cancer two years ago." I turn to look at him, I hear the sadness in his voice and for a moment I see the pain in his eyes as he spoke.

"That's awful, I am sorry to hear that and for asking it was none of my business." I reach over and grab his hand squeezing it hoping to give him some comfort in any way.

"Don't worry about it." He jerked his hand away like my touch had burned him. 

"Can I ask you something else?" I stare off into the distance taking the scenery in. The pond a big oval shape with weeping willow trees draped around it. The sounds of crickets chirping and the view of the sun setting on the other side of the pond made it very calm and peaceful.

"I have a feeling if I say no you are going to ask anyways." Reid sighed flicking the lid to his pack of cigarettes grabbing another one putting it to his lips. 

"You're right." 

"How are you and Hudson in the same grade? Were one of you held back? Or did one of you skip a grade?" I chewed on the inside of my lip until the skin on the inside was begging me to stop. One of my worst habits. I will bite the skin until it bleeds. 

"Long story Kenzie." He shakes his head. I can tell from the look on his face that it is a long story and I'd be lying if I said that didn't make me that much more curious.

"Don't call me that." I hate nicknames. I only like being called Mack or Mackenzie, and only my family and friends call me Mack.

"Why?" 

"Because I don't like it." 

"Looks like I am going to be calling you Kenzie then."

"Are you purposely trying to be an asshole?" The nerve of this guy is infuriating. 

"Something like that." He smirks again this time showing off his perfectly white straight teeth. I couldn't help but winder if he had braces before or was he blessed with the perfect teeth? The teeth you would see on the front of a dentist magazine. 

I pushed myself off the ground dusting off my butt from dirt before stomping away. I barely even let him answer the question I had asked and at this point I don't even give a shit. I made a promise to myself to steer clear of Reid Ashton right then and there.