64

Eliana's POV:

Figures entered the basement and Malia looked at Scott. "It wasn't me or Ella."

"What the hell happened to her?" Scott asked.

"There were these people... They had masks. Um, there... There were... Three of them. I think there were three. They had these masks."

Stiles frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"They had a weapon," I answered. "Stiles, Malia and I didn't do this."

He nodded. "Okay."

I glanced down at Tracy. "Why isn't she changing back?"

"We need to get her out of here," Deaton told us.

"What, hey... Absolutely not," Sheriff Stilinski protested. "This is a crime scene. We call the coroner."

My dad had his phone out. "Already on it."

Deaton looked at the sheriff and my dad. "I think the coroner might be very confused by this girl's severed reptilian tail."

"I don't care," Sheriff and my dad retorted.

"You should. Unless you're prepared to hold a press conference announcing the presence of supernatural creatures in Beacon Hills."

"Dad, Officer Hart, he's right," Stiles said. "Maybe at the clinic we can figure out how to change her back, then call the coroner?"

The sheriff began stammering. "There's a line... There is a line that we have to draw."

Stiles frowned. "Dad, you and Officer Hart have already crossed it. More than once."

"Sheriff, Officer, please," Deaton said. "Let me help. I've dealt with things like this before."

The sheriff and my dad nodded. "Just do it fast."

We made our way to the hospital to await news on Lydia. Melissa walked out and looked at Theo. "You might have saved her life. Nice job on that tourniquet. She's about to go into surgery. So it's going to be awhile. "Any other supernatural details that I need to know about or do we just stitch her up and hope for the best?"

"It was the tail," Kira told her.

Malia nodded. "Yeah. Tracy cut her with the tail, if that makes a difference."

"Okay," Melissa said before walking off.

Malia turned to Scott and Stiles. "But it wasn't just Tracy. There were others. The guys in the masks."

I glanced to Malia. "I saw them too."

In AP Bio the next morning, Scott glanced at Lydia's empty seat.

Mrs. Finch started class. "If 99.9% of our DNA sequence is the same as other humans, what could account for the missing 0.1% difference? Theo?"

"Um, nucleotides," Theo answered.

"That's right."

"Can there be more than one species in the same DNA?" Kira asked.

Mrs. Finch shook her head. "No, but there can be multiple sets of DNA in the same individual. We call that a Chimera. Anyone know where that term comes from? Scott?"

"Greek mythology," Scott answered. "It's a lion with a goat coming out of its back and a tail that ends in the head of a snake."

Mrs. Finch smiled. "That's right, Scott. As you know from the reading, DNA is a fragile molecule. Isn't it, Scott? Or did you miss last night's reading?"

"Kind of," Scott replied.

"Kind of or yes?"

"Mostly yes."

"Well then, thank you for another helpful transition in topic. Drop forms. All those now acutely aware that they do not belong in this class, you should fill one out. The rest will be on my desk."

Scott grabbed a drop form on his way out.

"Good choice," Mrs. Finch said.

I made my way to the library and Malia slammed the Bestiary on the table, causing her to jump. Kira looked at Malia. "Anything in here about half-werewolves, half-kanimas?"

"Chimera," Scott corrected.

"Uh, what?" Stiles asked.

"Chimera," I repeated. "A creature made up of different parts."

Scott said after a moment, "And if Liam said he found two burial sites, it means Tracy's not the only one."

"Who's the second one?" Kira wondered. "And why would they bury them?"

"Deaton thinks it's part of their process."

"The people in masks," Malia remembered.

We all left and as I trudged through the forest, the fastest way home, the rustling of branches caught my attention.

I turned to the sound and saw her.

"Hello, darling."

Oh, shit. I did what any logical person would have done. I ran. Unfortunately she anticipated that and pinned me against a tree.

"Going somewhere, Ella?"

I growled softly and menacingly as I narrowed my eyes.