65

Eliana's POV:

I narrowed my eyes. "Let me go!"

Lucille laughed darkly. "I can't do that, sweetheart."

A growl caught our attention and Evan appeared. "Let her go, mother."

"Evan, darling. It's wonderful to see you."

"If you don't let her go, I'm gonna hurt you or call Dad. I haven't decided yet. Leave her the fuck alone. You've put her through enough shit. The next time I see you near her, I'm going to hurt you. Or worse."

Lucille glared and left.

I glanced to Evan and said, "Thank you."

He nodded. "I owed you. Why didn't you fight back?"

"I-I don't know. I can't fight back around her. I've tried, but she's always been bigger and stronger. Evan, I-" My voice broke and I tried to keep the tears in.

Evan hugged me. "El, it's okay. You tell me when she's around, and I'll fight her for you, okay?"

"Okay. Thank you, Ev."

"You're my little sister. It's my job to protect you."

---

Lydia, Malia and I entered the school and I stared at the book in Malia's hand. Malia had told me that the people in masks were called Dread Doctors and that she'd found the book in Tracy's room.

I pointed to the book. "Why would anyone read that?"

Lydia stopped and Malia and I asked, "What?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. There's something about it. Has anyone actually read it?"

"Just me," Malia replied.

Lydia's pace quickened and she said, "We should probably read all of it."

I frowned. "Why would I read that piece of shit?"

"Because we need to know what's going on."

Malia glanced between us. "Kira's working on that. Stiles says he can't find anything on the author. He thinks it's a pen name."

Lydia stared at the front cover for a moment and flipped it over to read the summary. ""In a small New England town, teenagers are taken in the night and buried alive. Days later, they emerge transformed, wreaking havoc and spreading terror, commanded by an ancient order of parascientists known only as the Dread Doctors."" She nodded. "Sounds vaguely familiar. How does it end?"

Malia shrugged. "It doesn't. This is supposed to be volume one."

I frowned. "Is there a volume two?"

"I think we're living volume two."

Lydia looked at us. "Maybe the real question is... Is this a novel or someone's prediction?"

We sat. Malia was in front of Lydia and I was next to Malia. Malia turned moments later to face Lydia. "Why is your heart beating so fast?" She turned to me. "You seem more anxious than normal."

Lydia ignored Malia and flipped through the pages, stopping at the last one. She let out a soft gasp. "Look at this, you two. Look at the acknowledgements page." She turned the book around.

Malia read the words aloud. ""For providing scientific perspective and invaluable insight... this book is dedicated to Dr. Gabriel Valack." Do you know him?"

Lydia nodded. "Yeah. And I know where to find him."

She went to Stiles' house to tell him while I chose to recruit Evan.