15

During gym, Coach had us climb a rock wall. I refused to participate, and Coach liked me enough to let me sit on the side, which allowed me to watch and laugh. Coach called Stiles and Erica to the wall. I didn't know Erica that well, but we crossed friendly paths on occasion.

"Oh please--" I heard Erica mutter.

"Erica," Coach called. "Dizzy? Is it vertigo?"

Lydia scoffed. "Vertigo's a dysfunction of the vestibular system of the inner ear. She's just freaking out."

"Erica."

"I'm fine," Erica replied.

She's not fine. She's freaking out. Something's wrong.

"Coach, maybe it's not safe," Allison said.

I realized why I was getting such a weird vibe from her. "You know she's epileptic."

"Why doesn't anybody tell me this stuff?" Coach asked. "I have to get--Erica, y-you're fine. Just--just kick off from the wall. Th-There's a mat to catch you. Come on. See, you're fine. You're on the ground. You're all right. Let's go. Shake it off. You're fine."

I walked over to Erica once she'd gotten off the wall. "Are you okay?"

She nodded, still obviously terrified. "You're lucky Coach doesn't make you do this."

"You don't have to either, you know. You have an excuse."

She frowned. "An excuse to get teased and laughed at."

"Well then those people have no heart. Look, I don't know what it's like to be epileptic, but I do know what it's like to be terrified of a panic attack, which can be similar, and not knowing when it's going to happen."

Erica nodded and went back to the wall.

"Wait. What are you doing?!" I cried.

"Proving I'm not a wimp," she replied.

She began climbing and I suddenly sensed she was close to having a seizure. I ran to grab her and Scott came and helped.

Allison ran in and instructed, "Put her on her side. Put her on her side. How'd you know?"

Scott shrugged, looking to me and I nodded, noting my senses. "I just felt it. Eliana did as well."

We took Erica to the hospital and I decided I should stay with her. Thankfully, Melissa let me.

Melissa smiled. "It's been awhile since we saw you, Erica. You were being so good about taking your medication."

"Are you gonna tell my mom?" Erica asked worriedly.

"Well, I swear I don't want to, but there's this team of lawyers in the back who would break my legs, and I don't know if you've seen my legs, but for a girl my age, they're still probably hot. So--doctor's gonna be in in a minute, okay?"

Erica nodded. "Okay."

Melissa left the room as Erica laid down, getting as comfortable as she could on the bed.

Derek walked in and said, "Lie still."

He picked up a bottle of medication. "Side effects may include anxiety, waking, acne, ulcerative colitis. Yeesh."

"Who are you?" Erica wondered.

"Let's just say we have a mutual friend. You get a warning right before you have a seizure."

"It's called an aura. It's--it's like a metallic taste in my mouth."

Derek smiled. "You don't have to lie, Erica. What's it really taste like?"