22

Eliana's POV:

I frowned slightly as I climbed into Stiles' Jeep. "You were super vague on the phone. All I could make out was that you discovered something big."

"Yeah!" He cried. "Scott and I know who it is! We know who's controlling the kanima."

"Tell me it's Matt. Please tell me it's Matt."

Stiles nodded. "We were right to be suspicious."

Thanks to Stiles reckless/excited driving, we arrived at his house quickly. We walked inside to see Sheriff Stilinski, my dad and Scott.

"Dad? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Stiles called me."

"He called--Okay, great."

Sheriff Stilinski pointed to a small figure. "So this kid's the real killer?"

Stiles nodded. "Yeah."

"No."

"Yes!" I cried.

"No," my dad replied.

Stiles let out an annoyed sigh. "Dad, Mr. Hart, come on. Everybody knows that the police look for ways to connect victims in a murder, okay? So all he had to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which they all had in common."

"Yeah, except for the rave promoter Kara wasn't in Harris' class," Sheriff said.

Stiles sighed. "All right, okay, you're right, sorry. Then I guess they dropped the charges against him?"

Sheriff shook his head. "No, you know what? They're not dropping the charges. But that doesn't prove anything."

"H--" Stiles noticed something. "Oh."

I nodded. "I believe it. You just have to trust us."

Scott nodded. "It's really hard to explain how we know this, but like Eliana said, you just gotta trust us. We know it's Matt."

My dad looked between us. "If you three are so certain, I'm inclined to believe it."

"Yeah," Stiles agreed. "Thank you, Mr. Hart. He took Harris' car, okay? Look, he knew that if a cop found tire track at one of the murders, and that if enough of the victims were in Harris' class, that they'd arrest him."

The sheriff sighed. "All right, fine. I'll allow the remote possibility, but give me and Officer Hart a motive."

I frowned. "Isn't it obvious? Our swim team sucks! They haven't won in, like, six years."

Stiles continued. "Okay, we don't have a motive yet. I mean, come on, does Harris?"

"Besides being suspicious, we don't have motive," I added.

Sheriff Stilinski looked at us, seemingly defeated. "What do you want me and Officer Hart to do?"

"We need you two to look at the evidence," Scott replied.

"Yeah, that would be at the station, where I no longer work."

"Trust me, they'll let you in," Stiles said.

"Trust you?"

"Trust--trust Scott? Or Ella?"

"Scott and Ella I trust."

We arrived at the station and saw Deputy Vargas. "It's two in the morning."

Sheriff Stilinski looked between us as he said, "Believe me, Eric and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't extremely important."